Are you a licensed Marine Engineer starting off or finishing up your career and looking to be home more often Or do you have a background in Marine Mechanics?
Do you still want to be on the water, but not living on board all the time?
We may have a perfect position for you with the Beaver Island Boat Company. You have an opportunity to live on a Island in the Great lakes, still be on the water during the day, while being home almost every night.
Must relocate to Beaver Island Michigan
TITLE: Maintenance Engineer
REPORTS TO: Senior Captain (for those responsibilities directly related to the boat)
President (for other responsibilities)
· Overall maintenance of the vessels, buildings, docks, vehicles, lift trucks, and all company machinery and equipment.
· Perform emergency repairs as required. Review and/or develop company machinery operating procedures, schedule and budget. Perform preventative maintenance with minimum disruption of customer service; coordinate with Senior Captain and President.
· Provide input and recommendations on policy, rates, budget, schedules and any other aspect of company operations
· Maintain appropriate equipment logs and records.
· Ensure that commonly accepted engine operating, maintenance, and safety procedures are adhered to.
· Maintain the inventory of tolls, parts and supplies for engineering spaces and equipment.
· Maintain orderly and clean storage/repair areas and engine rooms.
· Supervise waste disposal.
· Perform cutting and welding projects as required.
· All the responsibilities assigned to the “deckhand”, and “Senior deckhand” job description.
· Be familiar with U.S. Coast Guard regulations, the Company Mission Statement and Employee Handbook and use them to guide policy and conduct in all operations.
· Report all malfunctions and unusual readings or changes to the Senior Captain and/or President as appropriate.
· Submit all work/supply requests through the Senior Captain.
· Schedule all maintenance in coordination with the Senior Captain and request any additional help or overtime required through him/her (such as oil changes). Ensure that captains are kept informed of what maintenance/repairs are being planned or accomplished on each boat.
· Submit any suggestions or reports through the Senior Captain so that his comments or input can be given. If any items need to be discussed with the President, make sure they have already been discussed with the Senior Captain.
· All the qualifications assigned to the “Senior Deckhand”, and “deckhand” job descriptions.
· Have a solid background in diesel mechanics, hydraulics, electrical systems and vessel/equipment/building maintenance and record keeping procedures.
· Experience in welding and fabrication.
· Well developed sense of organization and attention to detail.
· The ability to work well under pressure and use good judgment when required to make quick decisions.
· Thorough knowledge of the relevant maritime laws, Coast Guard rules and regulations governing the operation of inspected passenger vessels.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 - $65,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 12 hour shift
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Saint James, MI: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Marine Engineering: 2 years (Preferred)
- Merchant Mariner Credential (Preferred)
Work Location: One location