Senior Embedded/FPGA Engineer Description
Develop and integrate tailored hardware and software solutions in support of research & development activities for communications, radar, and electronic warfare applications. We seek a candidate able to develop algorithms and integrate prototypes for demonstrator hardware projects. Areas of emphasis include the development of novel radar, LPI/LPD communications, electronic attack, and electronic warfare support systems.
Required Qualifications are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- 5+ years of FPGA based development
- Understand abstract level research requirements, architect, and implement in an FPGA.
- Responsible for developing FPGA based systems particularly using Xilinx Series 7 FPGAs (Virtex and Zynq Ultrascale)
- Proficiency with Xilinx Tools
- Expertise with Zynq and ARM processor development
- Candidate should be familiar with standard lab equipment (oscilloscopes, signal generator, logic analyzer, power supplies etc.)
- US Citizenship and must be able to obtain a secret clearance
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills
- This position requires a highly motivated individual that can succeed in a team environment
- Design and implement system-on-chip solutions that use embedded ARM processors such as Zynq Ultrascale DDR memories, fast serial interfaces such as JESD-204B, 1G/10G Ethernet interfaces, and more
- Experience with least one scripted language (Python or MATLAB)
Desired Qualifications are:
- Propose and execute prototype projects that introduce an innovative solution to new or existing problems
- Knowledge of industry’s best practices in embedded software design
- Strong understanding of C/C++ software development, IDE development tools
- Basic knowledge of RF theory
- Prior experience with Software Defined Radios (SDR) and GNU Radio
- Working knowledge of Bash, Java
- Experience with embedded Linux platforms
- Experience with digital communications theory and DSP algorithms
- Experience with IP networking protocols
The selected candidate will be a contract employee of General Technical Services LLC (GTS). US citizenship is required (security clearance). There may be occasional travel. GTS offers company-funded educational support for job-related training. Other benefits include ten (federal) holidays, a co-funded medical plan, fifteen days of personal time, and a 401(k) investment package.
Salary is industry-competitive and commensurate with experience and expertise.
Background: Located in Adelphi, MD, the U.S. Army Research Laboratory's (ARL) Sensors and Electron Devices Directorate (SEDD) is the principal Army organization for research and development in sensors and electron devices (see http://www.arl.army.mil/www/default.cfm?page=231 for more information.). SEDD conducts innovative research to provide the Army with affordable enabling technology in electro-optic smart sensors, MEMS, multifunction radio-frequency systems, autonomous sensing, power generation and management, and RF and thermal signature management. SEDD coordinates technologies within the Army, other services and their laboratories, industry, and academia to leverage basic and applied research opportunities for the benefit of the Army. See http://www.arl.army.mil/www/default.cfm?page=32 for more information. The SEMASC Research Facility is a state–of-the-art Semiconductor, Nanotechnology and Microelectromechanical Systems processing facility dedicated to the development of next generation sensor materials and technologies. See http://www.arl.army.mil/www/default.cfm?page=428 for more information.
To accomplish its mission SEDD utilizes several unique facilities, most notably the Zahl
Physical Science Laboratory, a 349,000 GSF state-of-the-art electronics R&D facility. This building has a 15,000 GSF class 10 and class 100 cleanroom, dry room, high energy laser facilities, bio-inspired sensor laboratories and other research & development infrastructure.
Submit a resume that highlights your qualifications for this specific position to:
General Technical Services LLC
Job Type: Full-time
- FPGA: 5 years (Preferred)
- US Citizenship (Required)