The IT department designs, builds, installs, and maintains computer and network systems for a wide variety of customers, including businesses, schools, and state & local government organizations. In addition to IT project activities, the department provides Level 3 escalation support for the Golden West Technologies (GWT) Network Operations Center (NOC). The Engineer will work both remotely and at customer locations, typically within a 2-hour radius of Rapid City.
The Engineer plans, installs, maintains, and creates implementation procedures for the following technologies: Primary focus is IT support, to include Windows server, virtualization (primarily Hyper-V), storage (including Storage Spaces Direct), cloud technologies, disaster recovery, firewalls and cybersecurity applications. Secondary focus is networking services to support LAN/WAN installations, including wireless networks and switching/routing. Develops documentation for internal and customer use when deploying technology. Manages customer technical needs from planning to implementation to support.
Essential Job Functions:
- Installs, configures, and maintains Windows Server environments, to include clustered and virtual environments. (Storage Spaces Direct experience a plus.)
- Installs and supports wireless network deployments including interior and exterior installations.
- Installs, configures, and maintains LAN/WAN/WLAN network environments to include switches, routers, firewalls, access points & wireless controllers.
- Installs, configures, and maintains cloud technologies such as Microsoft Azure.
- Works with customer and NOC to ensure that the correct devices are being backed up after installation.
- Installs, configures, and maintains firewalls at customer locations.
- Installs, configures, and maintains remote access technologies such as RDS and VPN's.
- Develops and implements cybersecurity practices, tools, and policies for customers.
- Follows, develops, and implements installations standards and processes.
- Develops, maintains, and implements automations/scripts for common installations.
- Serve as a liaison or technical resource for business owners and customers' IT staff.
- Build documentation and improve the documentation library to enable other technicians to efficiently install, maintain and troubleshoot customer networks and devices.
- Keep up to date with emerging technologies and security threats.
- Continued on-the-job learning and relevant certifications.
- Provides assistance to Level I and II technicians.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Participate in a rotating on-call schedule.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by Management.
Education and or Experience:
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Windows Server 2012R2, 2016, 2019, 2022, Windows 10, and Windows 11.
- Experience with Microsoft 365 or Microsoft Exchange server administration.
- Minimum of two years of experience with virtualization including virtual servers and virtual desktops.
- Demonstrated knowledge with TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, 802.1x, and DHCP Protocols.
- Experience with various storage technologies (SAN, VSAN, S2D, NAS, RAID).
- Experience with network devices - switches, routers, and firewalls, SDN, etc. (HP, Ruckus, and SonicWALL preferred).
- Experience with Microsoft Azure.
- Must be able to work independently and make sound technical decisions using information at hand.
- Possess excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in written formats with co-workers and business associates in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to function effectively as a team player.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment and external influences such as competing demands; changes in approach, scope, or method to best fit the situation.
- Able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Ability to undertake self-development activities.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent and a minimum of eight years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Six years of Microsoft server experience, two years of storage experience and two years of virtualization experience preferred.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
A+, Network+, CWNA knowledge level is assumed
Advanced Certification Required:
Microsoft server or Azure cloud
Premier-level Certification preferred:
MCSE, CCNP, HP ASE, etc.
Must have, or be able to obtain, and maintain a valid South Dakota driver's license, have an excellent driving record and be insurable under the Company's insurance policy.
Must be able to read computer screen and various reports.
Must be able to hear
well enough to communicate
with employees and business contacts.
Must be able to write, type,
and use phone system.
Good working conditions with the absence of disagreeable conditions. Climate controlled building with adequate lighting and space. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.