Start Date: July 2020
Location: Providence or Cranston
Academic Level: Elementary or Middle School
Teaching at Achievement First:
Achievement First invites passionate educators to apply for the position of Special Education Teacher for the 2019-20 school year. Teaching special education at Achievement First is an ideal position for an educator with deep passion for instruction who is eager to gain rigorous development to help perfect his/her craft. In addition to participating in weekly professional development and team planning meetings, teachers receive consistent high-impact coaching and feedback from a school administrator or teacher-leader. Furthermore, Achievement First has launched Teacher Career Pathway, a systematic, coordinated approach to recognizing and developing great teachers as they progress through five career stages. These stages were developed to celebrate excellent teachers and are accompanied by increased compensation, recognition and professional development opportunities. Achievement First is committed to recruiting, developing and retaining excellent Special Education teachers.
Responsibilities of the Achievement First Special Education teachers will include but are not limited to:
Outstanding academic achievement and student character development
- **Create a positive, achievement-oriented and structured learning environment that excites and invests students.
- Motivate students to realize high academic and behavioral standards.
- Build classroom community by investing families in children’s academic success and development of REACH values (REACH stands for Respect, Enthusiasm, Achievement, Citizenship and Hard work).
- Utilize data from Achievement First’s interim assessments to drive instruction and intervention.
- Design and implement unit and lesson plans in collaboration with grade or subject team.
- Hold all students accountable during transitions, meals, trips and school events.
- Exemplify AF’s core values in all interactions with students, families and colleagues.
- Serve as “owner” of all special education-related services, including writing and implementing rigorous, standards-driven Individualized Education Plans (IEPs), managing legal documents and files related to students’ IEPs and 504 plans, liaising with external service providers, ensuring all services are in compliance with mandates and coordinating annual IEP review process.
Professional learning, development and growth
- Collaborate with coach, grade-level chair and school team to improve instructional, culture-building and leadership skills.
- Attend all professional development, team planning and data analysis meetings.
- Participate enthusiastically in structured and informal learning and development opportunities.
Skills and Characteristics
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills.
- High level of personal organization and planning.
- Team player: maturity, humility, strong work ethic, follow-through, sense of humor, willingness to respond positively to feedback and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
- Strong belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for subject matter.
- Familiarity with the IEP process.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Two years of teaching experience preferred with a proven record of high student achievement.
- Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 from a competitive college or university; Master’s degree preferred.
- New York, Connecticut or Rhode Island certified in special education or in process of obtaining a certification.
- If you are not yet certified, you may learn more about the process at http://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/certhelp/CertRequirementHelp.do (for NY),
- http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/cwp/view.asp?a=2613&q=321230 (for CT), or
- http://www.ride.ri.gov/TeachersAdministrators/EducatorCertification/CertificationRequirements.aspx (for RI)
Salary for this position is very competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package. Teachers receive funds for supplies and materials as well as a laptop computer.
To learn more about AF and apply
Please visit the Achievement First careers site at www.achievementfirst.org/careers/. Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/
Job Type: Full-time
- Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
- Special Education Certification (Preferred)