Job Scope: Network Engineer I
NexGen Communications is an Internet Service Provider which primarily focuses on the MDU market. We provide Internet, Voice, and Video to properties across the U.S. Our goal is to provide outstanding customer service to not only the customers we service but the leasing agents and companies that pair with us to provide services. Working at NexGen communications is different than working at a large corporation because it provides a small company feel where your voice matters and you can see your hard work pay off.
The Network Engineering position is different than you would find in larger companies because you get to directly work with all the moving parts of an ISP rather than just having a single specialty as you would in a large company. You will be able to work on issues that start at a customer’s router where it plugs into the wall all the way up to the core router running BGP.
The role involves the design, troubleshooting, and maintenance of our Internet and Voice network. You will be responsible for assisting with new site turn-ups, troubleshooting and installing Internet and Voice services at properties, the documentation and maintenance of our core and fiber network, and providing support to our Tier 1 Support team as necessary. This position interacts directly with customers, sales staff, installers, and other members of the engineering team as needed.
- Participate in the implementation, installation, upgrading, monitoring, and troubleshooting of the physical network infrastructure including: routers, switches, edge devices, servers, computer equipment, etc.
- Help plan and develop network changes including routing/switching changes, hardware upgrades, capacity upgrades, fiber splicing, server changes, etc.
- Provide advanced technical support to resolve network outages. This includes assisting Tier 1 with guidance and determining the cause of an outage and taking the necessary steps to resolve the issue.
- Regularly review the network environment to evaluate and measure system performance and effectiveness. Suggest, develop, and utilize existing network management software and tools to monitor and analyze network traffic to help recommend network upgrades and enhancements.
- Establish and communicate maintenance windows for all customer impacting adds, changes, removals, and upgrades of network hardware/software.
- Provide excellent customer service to current and prospective customers via tier II troubleshooting, provisioning, and testing of customer premise equipment and connections.
- Provide after-hours customer and network support via rotating on-call.
- Other tasks as assigned by management
Qualifications and Skills
- Possess a basic understanding of layer 1 technologies (Fiber types, Multiplexors, SFP types, Copper and fiber cabling systems, DSL, T1/PRI’s.
- Possess an understanding of how to troubleshoot physical medium issues by reading light levels, errors, etc.
- Possess a basic understanding of Layer 2 (Ethernet) networks at a MAC addressing level and VLAN segmentation which includes sizing and collision domain planning.
- Possess a basic understanding of IP Routing and Routing Protocols (OSPF,BGP,Static Routes.
- Possess a basic understanding of 2.4/5GHZ wireless network and how to troubleshoot wireless issues.
- Possess a basic understanding SIP signaling, call-flow, and troubleshooting.
- Possess a basic understanding of the PSTN (T1’s, ISUP Signaling, SS7 Links, E911, CNAM, etc)
- Possess a basic understanding of VMWare and virtualization technologies.
- Possess a basic understanding of Windows and Linux Operating Systems.
- Valid driver’s license with a clear driving record
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 - $65,000.00 per year
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Grimes, IA 50111 (Required)
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19