Job ID #:
12150 Location: Newport News, VA
Misc./Trades Division: Engineering Division
Casual Education Required: High School Diploma
5+ years Relocation Provided: No
THIS IS A CASUAL POSITION -
POSITION REQUIRES ON CALL WORK NOT TO EXCEED 1000 HOURS IN A YEAR
MARCH 15, 2020
$53,700 - $72,900 (ST II)
You ‘matter’ to us! Our diverse team at Jefferson Lab includes more than 700 people, comprising physicists, engineers, computer professionals, technicians and more. From probing the basic building blocks of matter to performing advanced computing and applied research, we are on the leading edge of science and technology. If you are looking for a great job in a unique place where your contributions truly matter, consider Jefferson Lab!
We are currently seeking a Welder Fabrication Technician:
Certified welding of components and assemblies. These components will range from general warm gas piping and vacuum jacketed cryogenic piping systems to structural welding for access platforms and fixtures to support construction. Welding will be to ASME and AWS standards for pressure system fabrication. Ability to demonstrate welding to certified standards is required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Fabricate and weld cryogenic piping systems and components, in accordance with engineering specifications and Lab pressure systems requirements.
- Perform 100% penetration, ASME radiograph quality welds on stainless steel and carbon steel piping with thicknesses varying from .028” thru .500” using both GTAW and SMAW welding processes.
- Welding of other materials such as aluminum, titanium, and niobium to defined AWS standards.
- Use power and hand tools including, but not limited to, grinders, saws, drills, and hand tools required for metal fabrication.
- Read and understand complex fabrication drawings and specifications.
- Ability to accurately use various measuring devices such as tape measures, rules and calipers.
- Prepare and clean piping and metal items for use in cryogenic systems using chemical cleaning solvents.
- Maintain welding equipment and welding station.
- Defining and ordering materials and supplies required for the assigned welding jobs.
Education & Expererience:
Qualifying education/experience plus five years of hands on experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Requires knowledge of proper use of hand tools, hardware, and power tools.
- Must have knowledge of industrial pipe and fitting terminology and standards.
- Ability to use basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry associated with calculating angles and component layout techniques.
- Must be able to read and interpret piping system and component fabrication drawings.
- Must be experienced in some discipline of pipe welding, metal fabrication and pipefitting.
- Machining experience required primarily Engine Lathe and Milling machine.
- Basic computer skills.
- Understanding of cryogenic, vacuum, and gas pressure systems and the importance of proper fabrication and cleaning techniques.
- Ability to comprehend and follow instructions
- Ability to understand, remember, and communicate highly technical information and make decisions
- Ability to organize, prioritize and complete complex and varied tasks
- Ability to get across various locations on the laboratory site and access work areas
- Ability to stoop, kneel, bend over and climb ladders and work at heights
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to stand and work for extended periods
- Ability to carry up to 40 lbs and lift 15 lbs above head frequently
- Ability to perceive temperatures and work in both hot and cold conditions.
- Ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Manual capability to pick, pinch, or otherwise work with fingers; seize, grasp, hold, turn, use hand tools and other equipment
- Visual capabilities sufficient to use computer workstations, read drawings and other documents and see safety alarms
- Auditory capabilities to hear safety alarms
Jefferson Science Associates, LLC (JSA) manages and operates the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab). JSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or veteran status or on any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. As part of the JSA’s equal employment opportunity policy, we also take affirmative action as called for by applicable laws and Executive Orders to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.
Employment with JSA is conditional upon DOE approval if at any time during your employment you are participating in a Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Program. Generally, such programs include any foreign-state-sponsored attempt to acquire U.S.-funded scientific research through programs run or funded by the government that target scientists, engineers, academics, researchers, and entrepreneurs of all nationalities working or educated in the United States.