O’Connell & Lawrence, Inc. (“O’C&L”) seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Land Survey Crew Chief/Field Engineer. The ideal candidate must be able to work in a team environment as a key member of a professional surveying staff assisting in the completion of boundary surveys, ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys, topographic surveys, as-built surveys, record plat preparation, easement and rights-of-way description preparation, construction stakeout and offset services, including computations and grade sheets, and other tasks as workflow dictates. The candidate shall report directly to O’C&L’s survey manager.
The tasks of employment shall generally include, but may not be limited to, the following:
· Assisting project managers with all aspects of the daily workload.
· Communicating with the office / field coordinator with daily workload and needs to meet the schedule.
· Scheduling and communicating workload status to project manager in order to meet deadlines.
· Leading field crews of up to three people.
· Uploading and downloading information from data collectors and reduction of files on a daily basis.
· Maintaining clean, legible survey field notes
· Preparing survey computations for boundary and topographic surveys and construction stakeout.
· Preparing cut sheets and grade sheets
· Preparing as-built surveys.
· Drafting using AutoCAD or similar software platforms.
· Communicating with clients, staff, and the general public while on assignment.
· Understanding current software and technology.
· Keeping survey equipment calibrated and maintaining up-to-date survey software packages with the help of IT staff.
· Problem solving during difficult tasks.
· Working in a safe and efficient manner both in the field and the office.
The ideal candidate shall have the following qualifications:
· High School Diploma (Associates/Bachelor’s Degree preferred)
· A minimum of four (4) years of diverse land surveying experience.
· Good verbal and written communication skills.
· Proficiency in AutoCAD drafting and computing skills.
· Proficiency in construction layout and plan reading.
· Ability to work overtime, if needed.
· Ability for short term overnight travel (1 – 2 nights max. anticipated) for assignments.
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
· A valid driver’s license, good driving record and ability to pass a driving record background check.
· Ability to operate Robotic Total Stations, Data Collectors, Digital Levels and GPS units. Experience with Topcon field equipment, SurvPro and Magnet software, and AutoCAD & Carlson office software preferred.
· Ability to calibrate and care for: tribrachs, prism rods, total stations and all field equipment.
· Physically capable of significant field work in difficult weather and site conditions.
· Ability to pass drug/alcohol screenings as needed.
· Dependable and punctual.
· Willingness to assist with all manner of engineering and construction assignments on an as-needed basis.
· LSIT or CST certification is a plus, but not required.
O’C&L is located in suburban Montgomery County, Maryland and offers regular hours, competitive pay (with opportunities for overtime), quality health insurance (including dental and vision coverage), 401k with company match, paid vacation and sick leave, educational reimbursement, opportunity for paid training, opportunity for advancement, a professional working environment, and a backlog of quality assignments in both the public and private sector.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Surveying: 5 years (Preferred)
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture