- Has utilized or generated Mechanical, Electrical Plumbing (MEP) drawings and design engineering documents focused on data center or critical environments projects.
- Has designed or contributed to the design of Controls and Monitoring solution projects.
- 5+ years’ experience driving large-scale enterprise data center or critical environment projects.
- Project management experience focused on data center or critical environments projects. Demonstrates large scale coordinated efforts with multiple project stakeholders.
At Amazon, we're working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need talented, bright, and driven people. This is your chance to make history by joining a company whose potential has no limits.
The AWS Data Center Global Services team is looking for an exceptional individual to contribute to the Controls & Technology organization by joining the Controls Design Engineering team (CDE). The CDE primary responsibility is to track, document, communicate and enhance global data center design standards with a focus on control, automation and electrical power monitoring systems.
The ideal candidate will need a wide-ranging background in data center environmental controls systems, IT infrastructure, networking, mechanical facility operations, electrical power monitoring, project management and strong leadership skills.
If you are passionate about the Customer Experience, think and act with a global perspective and have the ability to contribute to sophisticated innovations in the area of building controls and automation initiatives, this is the challenge you are looking for!
Controls Design Engineering (CDE)
The CDE team provides Building Management System (BMS) and Electrical Power Monitoring System (EPMS) design coordination globally.
The team’s goal is to deliver consistent standards for data center controls systems, as well as overall mechanical and electrical design practices. Due to the critical nature and complexity of designing, installing, and maintaining a BMS/EPMS, the CDE team is the primary owner of the associated specification, points list, Basis of Design and scope documents within a large infrastructure engineering team.
The CDE team is a single point of contact for multiple internal and external customers, uniting the efforts associated with:
- New construction builds
- Legacy site enhancement projects
- Data center service projects
In a continual effort to enhance the controls systems, the CDE team collaborates through design review, drives consistent standards, and collects feedback data to arrive at unified documented solutions. Due to the efforts of maintaining, updating, and distributing BMS/EPMS standards, the CDE engineer will drive significant reductions in change order expense, scope gaps between contractors, construction schedule delays, single-sourced vendor pricing, and reduced vendor project management and engineering labor costs.
CDE MVP Role
The MVP space focuses on customers that need higher levels of security than our typical Leased/Owned data centers and colos. Amazon designs “Air Gapped” solutions that are different for each customer type in each region. Each design type requires a Controls and Power monitoring system that appropriately fits the security and design intent. In the CDE MVP role, you will work closely with the Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing (MEP) engineers during the design phase to capture Controls content in the design package. You will develop scopes of work to direct vendors during bidding, deployment and commissioning of the data center. The CDE role acts as the subject matter expert for Controls standards and is leveraged to respond to RFIs from internal and external customers.
Role Responsibilities and Requirements
- Have deep knowledge of building operations, mechanical plant strategies, BMS/EPMS programming concepts, control diagrams, industrial HVAC, electrical line-ups, one line diagrams, and complex environmental and electrical concepts.
- Data center redundancy, mechanical failure strategies, energy and water conservation best-case practices and data reporting analytics.
- Knowledge of how to successfully operate in high security critical environments while maximizing productivity.
- Innovation of new solutions to support initiatives, team, and company goals.
- Lead and facilitate collaboration with multiple teams including construction, programmers, MEP/ACS engineers, and team managers as necessary to accomplish initiative goals.
- Create, maintain, and disseminate specification documents that pertain to global projects.
- Create, maintain, and disseminate project specific scope of work (SOW) documents including global design standards. Personally coordinate with each regional project manager to review and finalize each projects SOW.
- Vendor selection, bid review, RFI support and coordination.
- Central point of contact for multiple internal and external groups regarding BMS/EPMS controls standards. Manage and prioritize requests for information on new construction builds, existing site facilities support and legacy site enhancement projects.
- Interaction with AWS cloud services and other applications in order to present, archive and analyze accumulated data.
- Expect to travel globally when needed to manage and/or support project initiatives.
- In support of global data center control system, the CDE engineer will be expected to participate in an on call rotations that at times will push the individual outside of their comfort zone.
- Anticipate roadblocks and risks while providing escalation management.
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Technology, or related engineering degrees as well as five (5) years of related experience in professional Environments. Exhibit ability to acquire hard data across technical organizations, assemble and maintain hard data metrics to communicate, project and evaluate outcomes.
- Project management, organization and problem solving skills with a drive for results and the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Experience in developing operational optimization plans based on data analysis.
- Experience with the use and programming of software in building management systems (Schneider, Siemens, Tridium, Trend preferred).
- Experience with the use and programming of electrical power monitoring systems (Schneider, Eaton preferred).
- Knowledge of Data Center Facilities Infrastructure and operation (PDU, UPS, Generators, etc…)
- Must be able to operate with little to no supervision and still deliver the right results.
- Drive for results in Project management, organization and problem solving skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks under pressure
- Skilled in written and verbal communication.
- Proficiency in computer applications such as SQL, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Project.
- PMI or other project management experience and certifications.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation/Age