PRIMARY POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
Global Apparel & Materials Research Engineer
Director Apparel Testing and Research
Supports L Brands Lingerie & Apparel (L&A) Global Product Development Process. As part of Mast Technical Services Engineering team, this position will support materials and garments technical assessment and research through laboratory testing activities, standards & method analyacsis as well as the development, adoption and modification of testing protocols relevant to L Brands Global market expansion including China. This position will collaborate closely with Raw Materials, Innovation, Technical Design, Regulatory and Quality teams as well as external partners.
- Support L Brands Global Product development and innovation through the technical assessment and testing of new and innovative materials as well as garment designs and concepts.
- Support materials and garments research through the identification, modification and/or development of new testing methods and standards suitable for L Brands Lingerie & Apparel categories that create a robust understanding of the relationships between raw material properties, garments performance, fit and comfort and our customer's wearing experience.
- Become subject matter expert as it relates to Global Apparel and Textile Standards and Testing through solid understanding of those relevant to the L Brands Lingerie & Apparel product line as well as monitoring the release of new and updated Global Standards.
- Collaborate closely with Mast Regulatory and Quality Management teams to support technical analysis and risk assessment related to Global market requirements. This includes root cause analysis brainstorming, testing coordination and designing corrective action plans.
- Provide proactive feedback on implementation of improvements on L Brands Product standards and testing protocols (Regulatory, Quality and Performance), as well as processes and products to meet Global Product requirements and mitigate international market entry risks. This involves close collaboration, engagement, alignment and buy-in from several Mast stakeholders such as Raw Materials, Regulatory, Technical Design, Product Development and Quality.
- Support Apparel & Lingerie test method intra and inter-laboratory correlations and testing alignment initiatives thru solid understanding and proficiency of relevant L Brands L&A Performance Standards and testing methods.
- Coordinate new L Brands test method adoption and deployment through L Brands supply chain and accredited laboratory network by working with internal Mast global teams, vendors, suppliers and external 3rd party laboratories.
- Ensure the timely testing of textiles, apparel and components; including communication of results to the appropriate technical team member.
- Document and keep track of relevant testing laboratory work and reports
- 4 years bachelor's degree in Textile Engineering, Mechanical/Biomechanical Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering or equivalent experience in a related industry.
- At least 2 years of experience in materials or apparel physical/mechanical/chemical laboratory testing.
- Knowledge of materials and components used in apparel including but not exclusive to textiles.
- Knowledge and basic understanding of international testing standards, primarily Textiles is highly preferred.
- Basic knowledge of human body biomechanics is a plus.
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- High attention to detail, curiosity and creative thinking
- Excellent verbal/written communication including meeting facilitation and presentations
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to network and utilize internal and external resources
- Computer skills, including Microsoft office applications and data management systems