Engineering Inspector | Public Works—Engineering | REQ 859-1
Job Family: Professional / Technical
Posting Start Date: 07/12/2019 | Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Salary: $17.63 – $22.90 per hour
Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:00 am – 5:00 pm; with mandatory overtime as required.
MUST APPLY AT WWW.WORKFORWACO.COM TO BE CONSIDERED
PRIMARY DUTY: Under basic supervision, reviews civil engineering project plans and specifications and inspects construction projects for compliance with approved plans and conformance with Public Works Department (PWD) safety and construction codes and regulations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Inspects civil engineering construction projects built by the City and by contractors; verifies construction activities are in compliance with all applicable codes, ordinances and regulations; works independently and makes appropriate decisions based on work experience and training; duties may vary according to job assignment and individual skills.
- Inspects structural and infrastructure construction projects; coordinates inspection work with other City Departments, agencies and utility providers.
- Reviews plans and specifications of projects to gain familiarity with the projects prior to inspection.
- Performs field inspections to monitor quality control and evaluate the work performed; tests and verifies quality of workmanship and compliance with plans, specifications, estimates, PWD codes and regulations.
- Tests quality and quantity of materials used and stability of work site.
- Monitors work activities at work site and enforce safety rules and regulations.
- Identifies and documents deficiencies and deviations from quality and safety standards and project specifications; refers serious problems and disagreements in interpretation to Supervisor.
- Maintains and updates inspection records and project documentation files; prepares reports on program activities and performance and as needed for project progress payments.
- Maintains communications with developers and builders and resolves problems.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Driving is essential.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
City policies and procedures.
Principles of design, construction and maintenance of public works projects.
Principles and practices of government project management.
Federal and state codes and regulations governing civil engineering and public works projects, including safety standards and Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and TxDOT standards, protocols, specifications and guidelines for public works construction.
TCEQ quality regulations, inspection protocols, best practices and compliance standards.
Uniform Building and Fire Codes; State Electric, Plumbing and Mechanical Codes and related statutes and regulations, including ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) technical standards.
City of Waco standard construction specifications and standard details.
Methods and techniques of inspecting infrastructure, structures and facilities.
Occupational hazards and safety precautions.
Principles of record keeping and records management.
Interpreting statutes, rules, ordinances, codes and regulations and comparing them with plans and technical specifications.
Using technical knowledge of construction methods and sound inspection procedures to evaluate workmanship and materials quality and detect deviations from construction and safety standards.
Reading and interpreting plans and specifications and comparing them with construction in progress.
Reviewing and verifying mathematical calculations.
Interpreting technical instructions and analyzing complex variables.
Checking designs, details, estimates, plans and specifications of engineering projects.
Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers
Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required; AND two years of journey-level experience in general construction or building inspection experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
Class C Water Operator License from Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) required.
Additional specific technical training and certifications may be required for some incumbents.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $17.63 to $22.90 /hour
- journey level: 2 years (Preferred)
- general construction or building inspection: 2 years (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)