POSITION: Tool Maker
DEPARTMENT: Tool Room
SUPERVISOR: Tool Room Supervisor
POSITION SCOPE AND PURPOSE: To produce good quality tools and maintain deliveries. Requirements include a minimum of five years of relevant hands on tooling experience and the ability to design, build and fabricate tools.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
· Develop and build tools to extremely close tolerances aimed at reducing costs or improving the speed or quality of a production operation.
· Responsible for set up and operation of all tool room equipment.
· Read blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
· Regular attendance.
OTHER POSITION DUTIES:
· Provide molds that will go onto the machine with minimal setup time and run well over the scheduled run.
· Assist Manager in determining the proper methods and or techniques used in the repair of injection mold.
· Repair or manufacture parts to maintain all production tooling.
· Measure and mark dimensions and reference points on material or work piece.
· Select, align, and secure holding fixture, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, grinders and hand tools.
· Calculate and set up controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enter commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control.
· Verify conformance of finished work piece to specifications.
· Develop specifications from general description and draw sketch of part or product to be fabricated. Confer with engineers, production, programmers, or others to resolve machining related problems.
· Maintain lubricate and clean molds.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
· Minimum of five years of relevant hands on tooling experience.
· Apprenticeship is highly desired.
· Must be able to design, build and fabricate tools for production and prototype parts using conventional machines from blue prints or verbal instructions.
· Excellent computer skills using programs such as Cadkey and Master Cam as required.
· Thorough knowledge of tool room machines, inspection and measuring techniques.
· Ability to multi-task and prioritize work. Detail oriented.
· Strong written/verbal communication and analytical/troubleshooting skills.
· Plastic injection molding experience.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
- Reaching, Standing, Walking, Pushing, Pulling, Lifting, Fingering, Grasping, Feeling, Talking, and Hearing.
- Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: operating machines such as lathes, drill presses, power saws and mills where the seeing job is at or within arm's reach; performing mechanical or skilled trades’ tasks of a non-repetitive nature such as carpenters, technicians, service people, plumbers, painters, mechanics, etc.
- Ability to work for extended periods sitting and looking at computer while completing repetitive motions to include substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers
- Required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; expansive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly of fabrication of parts at distances close to the eyes.
- Subject to environmental conditions: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
- Subject to noise where there is sufficient noise to cause to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
- Subject to hazards: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- Subject to oils: There is air and/or skin exposure to oils and other cutting fluids.
EQUIPMENT USED: Computer, printer, telephone/cell phone, calculator, manufacturing equipment and machines, wire EDM, CNC mills, CAD software, and fax machine.
CONTACTS: Customers, all SMC employees, Vendor Sales Representatives.
SUPERVISION OF PEOPLE: This position does not supervise employees.
ACCESS TO CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: An executed non-disclosure agreement is required prior to start date.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
- Tool Maker: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
Company's Facebook page: