The CATON CONSTRUCTION GROUP, a member of the Caton Companies, is seeking a Bridge Form Carpenter to join our project team. This opening is for our FREDERICKSBURG, VIRGINIA project on Route 17 (Mills Avenue).
This is a skilled craft position that constructs, erects, and repairs built-in place or prefabricated forms and structures, according to specifications, to include concrete footings, slabs, walls, columns, bridge decks, and bent caps. This position requires a candidate who is familiar with the process and operation of machines used for the layout of bridge finishing, tying rebar, and other related duties associated with heavy civil construction.
Responsibilities (included, but not limited to):
- Erect built-in-place forms or assemble and install prefabricated forms on the construction site according to blueprint specifications
- Inspect all work-in-progress to ensure work conforms to specifications and plans
- Ensure that all resources assigned are maintained, protected, secured and used at optimum efficiency
- Identify extra work or change of conditions and report to project manager/project engineer.
- Performs all work according to safety standards and promotes safety on all job sites, using the right tools of the trade for each activity.
- Assist with survey and field layout. Assist estimators and engineers during the pursuit of new work including borrow pit locations and selection, plant site selection, value engineering, etc.
- . Meet or exceed the standard for quality control and company safety policies on all aspects of performed work. Promoting and adhering to on-the-job training of personnel and corporate safety standards by taking an active role in emphasizing safety, quality and production, leading by example
- Read and follow blueprints, prepare project layouts, perform estimates for materials and check work along the way to ensure it meets code and specifications
- Experience with pile driving, concrete forming, steel or concrete beam erection, temporary and permanent shoring, cofferdams, drilled-shaft foundations, and bridge deck forming and concrete placement.
- Working knowledge of bridge super substructure and substructure, cofferdams, work trestles, and bridge deck construction methods used to construct major bridge structures and retaining walls
- Work within precise standards of accuracy; able to compare and see differences in the size, shape, and forms of lines, figures, and objects
- Experience efficiently and safely operating trade tools and equipment.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience as a bridge carpenter working heavy construction preferred.
- Strong knowledge and experience interpreting drawings/project specifications.
- Working knowledge of driving pile, erection and wrecking all forms, setting and tying steel, pouring and finishing concrete, and set up and maintenance of erosion control
- Knowledge of survey controls, grade checking; and bridge geometry
- Competency in reading civil construction plans
- Basic computer skills
- Valid Driver License
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Normal work hours are Monday through Friday – 48 hours, 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Monday – Thursday, and 7:00 a.m. -3:30 p.m. on Friday, with time provided for lunch, hours may vary. Work may be local or out of town in which case overnight stays are required.
- Competitive Compensation Package
- Comprehensive Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
- FSA Program
- 401K Program with 4% company match
- 8 Paid Holidays plus personal floating holiday
- 120 hours of accrued Paid time Off (PTO) the first year
Why you should apply:
- Excellent working environment
- Working for a company that cares about your success
- Working for a growing company
Employment is conditional on satisfactorily completing all pre-employment requirements including background and drug screen. Starting salary depends upon prior work skills and experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer