Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB is seeking a Sales Proposal Engineer to serve our Industrial Automation division within our Process Industries (IAPI), Metals Industry sales team in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin location– The job requires job basic knowledge and experience with metals industry applications. This person will be responsible for preparing sales proposals as well as executing sales strategies for the new and existing Metals clients.
The successful candidate must be energetic, enthusiastic, a proven leader and must demonstrate the ability to drive proposal activities as well as supporting sales activities.
Typical duties/responsibilities for sales may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Can demonstrate knowledge of standard and advanced metals industry applications of automation and drives control systems.
- Participate ~65% of his time to proposals generation and sales activities for the remaining time.
- Write complete proposal documents and revise contract documents.
- Utilize engineering data, drawings, customer specifications and related information to prepare cost estimates, requests for quotations for purchase of components, evaluate supplier quotations and summarize total costs.
- Occasionally, conduct fact finding site visit to obtain any basic data that may be missing.
- Demonstrates excellent customer presence.
- Can provide understanding of more complex metals applications, rebuild plans for them and the associated ROI’s.
- Capable of providing technical expertise with both ABB local business units as well as the ABB global centers of expertise.
- Involvement with sales efforts by actively supporting customer visits.
- Collect data and providing guidance to position ABB versus competitive systems.
- Provide system-level expertise with high-level credibility during metals industry order pursuit.
- Capable of operating in a self-directed mode and prioritize assignments for self and others.
- Facilitate intra-group knowledge transfer.
- Bachelor's Degree with 3 years of experience in sales, sales support, and/or service of power systems / solutions;
- Associate's Degree with 5 years of experience in sales, sales support, and/or service of power systems / solutions;
Alternatively, this position may be filled at a more senior level for the successful candidate meeting these basic qualifications:
Preferred qualifications :
- Bachelor's Degree with 5 years of experience in sales, sales support, and/or service of power systems / solutions; OR
- Associate's Degree with 8 years of experience in sales, sales support, and/or service of power systems / solutions; OR
- A Master’s Degree in required field = Credit given for 2 years of work experience.
- A PhD/Doctorate in required field = Credit given for 3 years of work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering-oriented field of study is highly preferred.
- Previous experience working with Metals industry solutions (Mill Automation, etc.); recent technical sales and/or client-facing experience presenting industry solutions is heavily preferred.
- Familiarity with Operations & Maintenance practices of metals industry equipment and process.
- Experience in negotiating sales contracts.
- Ability to technically understand customer needs and develop ABB solutions.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple priorities concurrently.
- Ability to listen effectively and understand customer needs.
- Ability to clearly present ABB value propositions to the customer.
- Self-starter & team-player attitude – able to work well with others in a proactive manner.
- Working knowledge of commercial and legal terms and conditions.
- Familiarity with multiple ABB control and drives products and services.
- Willingness to travel 50%.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) and presentation skills.
- Candidates must already possess work authorization that permits them to work for ABB in the US.
- US citizenship preferred.
- This position requires residence in Wauwatosa, WI.
More about us
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.