Summary of Role
The Senior Database Engineer is ahands-on technical position for a senior-level professional. The role involvesan advanced, experienced skill set to design, develop and implement databaseobjects, procedures and processes using the SQL Server platform to supportbusiness objectives throughout the organization.
You'll be working as part of an Agileteam, developing the systems that power our business. This is a hands-on role,working with other engineers, writing code, testing, and deploying the finishedapps and libraries.
- Inpartnership with your co-workers, design and develop database infrastructure(tables and views) to support a complex and rapidly changing data environment.
- Createworking, maintainable, and fast Python scripts and stored procedures using bestpractices and current organizational standards to support data-drivenapplications, both internal and client-facing.
- Useindexing and other techniques to optimize new and existing objects andprocesses.
- Developprocesses for the ETL of data throughout the entire organization.
- Generatedata to support reporting (ad-hoc and standardized).
- Followand help develop database team standards and methodologies; use source controland build management procedures to ensure stable development, staging andproduction database environments.
- Enhance,refactor, and continuously improve the database schemas and related code.
- Communicateeffectively with technical and non-technical people.
- Solvebusiness needs with short-term deliverables, while constantly improving andmoving towards long-term architectural goals.
- Generatenew ideas, never say or think "that's not my job."
- Beproactive in keeping your skills fresh.
- 5+ yearsof T-SQL development experience in SQL Server.
- 3+ yearsof experience developing ETL processes with SQL Server Integration Services,Pentaho, or other tools. Bonus points for having developed ETL processes withPython and AWS.
- 2+ yearsof experience in development with Python 3.
- 1+ yearsof experience developing on AWS and Linux.
- Masteryof advanced database design methodologies and experience with database modelingtools, dimensional modeling and statistical analysis
- Clearunderstanding of SQL Server best practices for development of storedprocedures, views, tables, security objects, indexes, etc.
- Experiencewith any of the following is a plus: Postgres, SQL Server Reporting Services, MongoDB, Redis, Exasol
- Anappreciation for pragmatism and simplicity in code.
- A strongcode and architecture design sensibility.
- Customizedmathematical skills as determined by the requirements of the job.
- Logicalreasoning and cognitive ability required.
- Abilityto effectively assess and manage risk.
- Abilityto prioritize and manage multiple tasks, and effectively manage time.
- BS in Computer Science, SoftwareEngineering or equivalent, or a Bachelor’s in an unrelated field with at least5 years of software development experience. A relevant Master's degree is aplus.
- Certified Scrum Master is a plus
NRCCUA is an Equal Employment Opportunity(EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employmentopportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color,religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Allapplicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
NRCCUA endeavorsto make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities and disabledveterans pursuant to applicable federal and state law. If you are an individualwith a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any partof the application process or are limited in the ability and need analternative method for applying, please contact Human Resources with yourspecific accommodation request.
The National Research Center for College andUniversity Admissions is an educational data science and research organizationserving over 1,800 member institutions comprised of public and privatefour-year colleges and universities across the nation. For 45 years, NRCCUA hasbeen a leading provider of data, technology, and programs serving students,high school educators, four-year colleges and universities from its offices inLee’s Summit, MO, Boston, MA, New York, NY, and Austin, TX. These solutionsrepresent the link between students making important life decisions and thoseproviding the resources and information they need to succeed in theirpost-secondary educations and careers. With the launch of its Encoura™ DataLab, the company now combines data science, advanced analytics, research,predictive modeling and omnichannel enrollment services in one platform toenable institutions to make real-time strategic and operational decisions tomeet their unique enrollment goals and create the highest probability ofstudent success.
NRCCUA is now part of ACT. ACT is a mission-driven, nonprofitorganization dedicated to helping people achieve education and workplacesuccess. Headquartered in Iowa City, Iowa, ACT is trusted as the nation’sleader in college and career readiness, providing high-quality achievementassessments grounded in more than 50 years of research and experience. ACToffers a uniquely integrated set of solutions that help people succeed fromelementary school through career, providing insights that unlock potential.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Flexible schedule
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement