BIW is seeking an individual to supervise the technical laboratory. Primary function of the Laboratory Supervisor will be to provide direct, daily supervision of all Laboratory Technicians. The individual will report to the Manager of Environmental and Technical Laboratory (Manager).
- Oversight of: hot work, confined space and spray painting hazard control; BMP, hazardous waste, and SPCC environmental inspections at all facilities; environmental sampling and visual inspections; chemical & physical testing; instrument calibration; industrial hygiene monitoring; and other lab tech functions.
- Working closely with the Manager and other salaried Environmental Engineers/CIH to ensure that all above duties are performed in accordance with procedures and regulations.
- Working closely with the Manager to review and revise procedures, policies, and production methods as needed.
- Ensuring accurate and timely completion of required laboratory tasks.
- Oversight of training/cross-training of all Laboratory Technicians to ensure coverage in all areas.
- Providing guidance to Laboratory Technicians on emerging issues and problem solving.
- Obtaining designation as an OSHA Shipyard Competent Person (if not already) within 12 months of hire.
- Coordinating the schedule of Laboratory Technicians to assure appropriate coverage on weekdays and weekends as needed.
Bachelor’s Degree in a science, manufacturing/operations, or marine related field is required. Other degrees with demonstrated pertinent experience may be considered.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of pertinent experience is required.
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience is preferred, but demonstrated leadership or project management will also be considered.
- Candidate must be able to plan and coordinate time dependent activities (required).
- Candidate must have strong communication skills and be able to think critically to solve problems (required).
- Candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, be a team player, and be flexible and able to adjust to changing priorities (required).
- Candidate must be able to establish effective relationships with personnel in all areas and levels of the company.
- Pertinent work experience must be demonstrated through appropriate knowledge (required).
- Shipyard experience is preferred, but not required.
- Must be physically able to lift, crawl, climb and work in confined spaces and at heights (required).
- Technical writing skills and knowledge of OSHA 1915 and/or environmental regulations preferred.
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and familiarity with Access preferred.