Deputy Development Engineer| Public Works—Engineering | REQ 499-1
Job Family: Professional/Technical
Posting Start Date: 10/31/2018 | Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Salary: $72,618.83 – $116,001.39
Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
MUST APPLY AT WWW.WORKFORWACO.COM TO BE CONSIDERED
PRIMARY DUTY: Under general supervision, reviews engineering plans for construction projects for the Public Works Department (PWD); verifies compliance with design standards and City codes.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assumes responsibilities for the Development Section as the Acting Development Engineer in the event of the Development Engineer’s absence.
- Assists the Development Engineer with the activities of the Development Section.
- Reviews complex civil subdivisions development plans for compliance with code of ordinances for drainage, grading, roadway design, pavement design, storm water design, sanitary sewer design, and water supply design.
- Reviews complex civil/commercial building development plans for ensuring compliance with code of ordinances.
- Reviews abandonment of easements and right-of-ways; zoning cases; and encroachment cases for compliance with city code of ordinances and analysis of effect on operations.
- Provides technical support for various meetings and workshops including Board of Adjustments; Plan Commission; and weekly Plan Review.
- Participates in the administration of Flood Prevention and Protection Code of Ordinance; Storm Water Management Regulations; and Escarpment Regulations Code of Ordinance.
- Sets up and conducts preconstruction meetings for private development on City right-of-way.
- Receives and reviews cut sheets; proposed changes for projects; and submittals for design engineers.
- Interprets, applies, and explains codes and regulations; reviews files for Plan Commission and Zoning Board of Adjustment.
- Maintains project files, documents and records; prepares reports on program activities and performance.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work- related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Driving is essential.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
City organization, operations, policies and procedures.
Fundamentals of civil engineering, mathematics, and physics.Principles of design, construction, and maintenance of public works projects.
Methods, materials, and equipment used in public works infrastructure.
Federal, state, and local development safety codes and regulations.
Regulations, protocols, and standards governing plan review and civil infrastructure systems construction activities.
Analyzing issues, evaluating alternatives, and making logical recommendations based on findings.
Using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
Interpreting and applying engineering standards and procedures, Federal and state regulations and City policies and procedures.
Analyzing and evaluating technical engineering data and construction documentation.
Checking designs, details, estimates, plans, and specifications of engineering projects.
Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects, and demands.
Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with City employees, officials, and representatives from other local, state, and federal agencies.
Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering is required; AND four years’ work experience in civil engineering or engineering plan review; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
Registration as a Professional Engineer by the Texas Board of Professional Engineers is required.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an ‘at-will’ relationship.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The City of Waco provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office at (254) 750-5740.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $72,618.83 to $116,001.39 /year
- civil engineering or engineering plan review: 4 years (Preferred)