Please only apply if you are a current or soon-to-be resident in or near St. Cloud, MN.
Apex Engineering Group has an opening for a Lead Engineer working in our Municipal or Water/Waste Water Groups located in our St. Cloud, MN office. Primary responsibilities include managing a team of engineers, technicians and support staff on general civil projects from the planning phase through design and construction. A Lead Engineer shall be capable of independently managing projects and collaboratively contributing to the design and development of project plans and specifications while working with and mentoring project team members. Lead Engineers typically report to a senior engineer, sector leader or principal of the firm. Additional responsibilities may include general marketing of the firm and various business development activities.
· Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering required. Master’s degree a plus.
· Professional Engineers License preferred or ability to be licensed within 6-12 months required.
· 7 or more years of experience working as a Civil Engineer in the municipal or water/waste water engineering field.
· Experience in preparing civil design drawings, specifications and opinions of cost related to water/sewer utilities, roadways, drainage, etc. is preferred.
· Experience working with local, county or state agencies is a plus.
· Strong project management skills and experience is essential for this position.
· Construction management experience is also required.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a prerequisite.
· Must be detail orientated, self-motivated with strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
· Flexible working style and willingness to occasionally modify personal schedules as required to meet deadlines and/or client needs.
· Proficient using Microsoft Windows/Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
· Working knowledge in AutoCAD/Civil-3D, Microstation/GeoPak, Google-SketchUP Pro or ARCMap GIS considered a plus.
· A valid driver’s license is required or the ability to obtain one.
· Ability to operate a computer under normal ergonomic office conditions.
· Required to work in an outdoors environment during construction season.
· May require prolonged periods of standing and walking to perform some of the typical tasks and duties associated with construction observation or surveying.
· Required to lift objects or containers weighing 50-lbs.
· Must work scheduled hours in the office or onsite for projects.
· To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements described here are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Provide professional engineering services for clients by providing: studies, planning, design, specifications, plans, reports, construction administration, observation and project management.
· Communicate frequently and effectively with clients, supervisors and project team members on a consistent basis by providing updates and progress during all phases of projects
· Attend company meetings, project meetings and client meetings as deemed necessary.
· This position will be responsible to lead the preparing of proposals and participating in interviews for securing work for the firm. Responsibilities for business development will increase with experience and mentoring by senior staff.
· This position will require the initiative to think independently and make rational judgment calls.
· Provide direction and work with engineering technicians and other team members on the development of project plans and specifications.
· Work and coordinate with other engineering teams on complex multi-discipline projects.
· Understand and follow company employee handbook and mandated safety policies.
· Perform responsibilities in a conscientious, legal and ethical manner with a strong attention to detail.
· Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
· Participate in professional organizations and community leadership programs as deemed appropriate.
· Travel and out of town stays may be required; may work overtime especially during the construction season.
· Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Apex Engineering Group has consistently operated under the principle of equal treatment for all persons without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, in regard to public assistance or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law. EEO is the Law: English Version or Spanish Version. EEO is the Law Supplement: English Version or Spanish Version.
In compliance with federal law requiring employers to verify new employees' U.S. employment eligibility, Apex Engineering Group participates in E-Verify. To learn more about your right to work: English Version or Spanish Version.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $42.00 - $48.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Civil Engineering: 5 years (Preferred)
- Professional Engineers License (Preferred)