Quanta Telecommunications Services safely provides comprehensive infrastructure services to fiber, wireline and wireless carrier customers within the communications industry. With a focus on delivering for our customers at the highest quality and service, we need smart, dedicated individuals that take pride in their work and have the savvy to thrive in a rapidly growing environment.
Quanta Telecommunications is actively seeking a Fiber Splicer to work on a highly specialized team out of the Little Rock, Arkansas area.
- The primary responsibilities of an outside plant technician / fiber optic splicer will be to splice fiber optic cables in both outdoor and indoor settings.
- Read, create and maintain splicing schematics and diagrams, maintain control of outside plant (OSP) activities surrounding the assigned work site(s) taking and maintaining accurate splicing and field notes, support project timelines, and inspecting, designing and providing accurate staking sheets for projects.
- The technician will specialize in splicing and terminating fiber optic cables to expand telecommunications networks into new areas or to replace existing lines. They also troubleshoot and perform maintenance to resolve signal problems.
- Technicians will perform maintenance and repair work, examine lines and use electrical equipment to test for damage. They may troubleshoot a line to locate a fault and splice in new line to replace damaged cable.
- Splice fiber optic cables including both loose tube and ribbon optic cables. Construct a proper splice case, including but not limited to: grounding, bonding, isolation, slack storage and sealing. Prepare and maintain splicing records, schematics and diagrams.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards. Be familiar with RUS standards, read and follow design engineers instructions and specifications, maintain the scope of work on the project and adhere to safety procedures.
- Prepare engineering field notes / as builds and splicing sheets. Interpret buried underground and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field with clarity and detail.
- This position requires field work which may include overtime, weekends, holidays, and off hours.
- Travel will be required and may be up to 80%, depending on the business needs.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience and Skills):
- Quanta Telecommunication Services will provide on-the-job training and require applicants to have a high school diploma or a GED. Though not required, certificate programs or post-secondary coursework in electronics, fiber optics and telecommunications technology can enhance employment opportunities.
- Knowledge of how to fusion splice both loose tube and ribbon fiber optic cables. Know how to place a mid-sheath splice.
- Knowledge of fiber optic test equipment such as OTDR, OLTS, and power meter
- Computer skills to include Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to download, store, and compile test equipment data
- Ability to safely utilize bucket trucks, access manholes and hand holes. Use ladders to access various installation and construction points as required.
- Commercial Driver’s License strongly preferred
- Ability to travel within the region up to 80% of the time.
- Ability to multitask and stay organized under pressure.
Work is performed most frequently outdoors in weather conditions that vary from sub-zero to heat above 90 degrees, in wet and dry conditions and in rural areas. Employee may performs duties around energized and de-energized electric lines and equipment and moving mechanical parts. Work may be performed in confined spaces. Some exposure to odors, gases, dust and dirt may occur. The noise level in the work environment may range from moderate to loud.
Work is heavy and requires exertion of up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Lifting and carrying of 10 to 50 pounds frequently is required. Reaching and lifting overhead is frequent. Job requires standing, crawling, climbing, bending, twisting, pushing, pulling and reaching a majority of the time. Performs work on poles at heights of up to 75 feet, normally in awkward positions. May spend long periods of time driving and/or riding in line construction vehicles to reach remote areas of the service territory.
Subject to drug and alcohol testing, per applicable federal regulations or as required by Quanta.
ADA JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Reasonable accommodations will be made to ensure that the essential functions of the job can be performed and not hinder the employee's performance due to physical, mental or emotional disability.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
Quanta Telecom is an equal opportunity workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected categories. This includes providing reasonable accommodation if requested for disabilities or religious beliefs and practices.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $28.00 - $30.00 per hour