Do you want to work for one of the top engineering firms in the country?
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc. (SGH) is a national engineering firm that designs, investigates, and rehabilitates structures, building enclosures, and materials. Our award-winning work encompasses building, energy, civil/infrastructure, and science/defense projects in the United States, Canada, and more than thirty additional countries.
We want someone passionate about structural engineering and problem solving.
We seek an individual with an advanced degree in Structural Engineering or Engineering Mechanics to join our team in the Engineering Mechanics and Infrastructure (EMI) group. EMI applies engineering mechanics, materials science, numerical simulation, innovative technologies, and collective expertise to solve our clients' toughest problems in an inspiring work environment that nurtures life-long learning and growth. We provide significant advancement opportunities commensurate with performance. The EMI group provides services to facilities located in the United States and internationally requiring advanced state-of-the-art analysis, such as nuclear and non-nuclear power generation facilities, national defense installations, pipelines and tanks, bridges, and precision observatories. These services include seismic design and evaluation, probabilistic risk assessment, finite element analysis, accident analyses, drop load impact analysis, and safety evaluations.
What You'll Be Doing:
Under the direction of the Principal, s/he performs engineering analyses of structures, systems, and components for extreme events, including earthquakes, wind, explosions, and impact loads.
What You'll Need:
Why You'll Like Working at SGH:
- Develop finite element models of structures using commercially available software and perform linear and nonlinear structural analyses using these models.
- Perform seismic soil-structure interaction analyses of building structures.
- Perform field walkdown assessments of power generation, national defense, industrial, and petrochemical facilities.
- Evaluate structures for compliance with code criteria.
- Prepare calculations and reports documenting engineering analyses.
- M.S. or PhD in Structural Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, or similar fields with emphasis on structural analysis, structural dynamics, and engineering mechanics.
- A strong background in structural analysis, structural dynamics, structural design, and engineering mechanics. is required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English are preferred.
- Engineer-in-training (EIT) registration or the ability to obtain within 1 year.
- Familiarity with computer programs ANSYS, ABAQUS, LS-DYNA, and/or SAP2000.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and in large multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to travel.
- May be required to work on projects that are subject to passing a security clearance check.
- Must have a valid driver's license and an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report.
Our client's partner with us for more than just technical knowledge. They come to us with their most challenging issues and we leverage our collective expertise to deliver exceptional results.
We are people of high character and diverse talents who work hard and laugh often. We offer robust wellness and employee assistance programs, paid time off and flexible work arrangements, and retirement plan options that include generous company contributions.
Committed individuals embrace an obligation to give back to others. We are driven to share our knowledge and energy outside of the office to help improve our chosen professions and local communities.
SGH has over 650 employees and offices in Boston, Chicago, Houston, New York City, San Francisco, Southern California, Waltham, MA and Washington DC.
SGH® is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. If the application system is not accessible to you, or you need a reasonable accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.