We believe real value is powered by the unique skills and experiences of our professionals. The interchange of ideas from a diverse group of people gives our teams an expanded perspective and the ability to find better solutions for our clients.
Req Id :
Job Title :
Business Unit Sector :
Work Location :
Opportunity Type :
Relocation eligible :
Full time/Part time :
Contract Hire Only for this Project :
Black & Veatch is seeking an experienced Design Engineer to join a well-established water/wastewater team in our Columbia office. The Design Engineer will be responsible for civil discipline design, construction, and administration for municipal water and wastewater treatment facility projects. The Design Engineer will assist senior staff with the management of scope, budget and schedule and develop strong relationships with clients and contractors. This role will offer a wide variety of individual project assignments to develop technical knowledge and leadership skills. Some assignments may require occasional travel to other Black & Veatch offices
Prepare detailed engineering reports, studies, and supporting documents.
- Prepare project drawings, specifications, and opinions of cost.
- Perform moderately complex detailed design engineering calculations.
- Apply standard design principles and concepts and ensure all design products are in compliance with applicable engineering codes and Black & Veatch policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with multi-discipline teams and work together to evaluate alternatives and resolve technical issues.
- Lead the design of project components to achieve project delivery in a timely manner with a focus on quality while exceeding client expectations.
- Provide creativity and ideas for marketing and pursuit opportunities.
- Regular client interaction and business development
- Frequent local travel to client sites, and occasional travel to Headquarters for continuous training, as needed
Continues to learn and remains current on departmental design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and Black and Veatch policies and procedures
Applies to assigned tasks as appropriate
Begins to independently apply knowledge and complies with Black and Veatch quality program relative to assigned tasks
Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts
Prepares a variety of moderately complex engineering deliverables
Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection
Collects, assimilates, and manages data for engineering work
Prepares complex engineering calculations following standard methods and principles
Understands and adheres to budget, schedule, and quality requirements
Recognizes, defines and resolves problems within assigned area
May provide direction and guidance to others
Assigns tasks to and coordinates with other internal/external team members on less complex projects
Initiates contact with other disciplines as needed to identify and coordinate details of the work
Actively seeks to understand client interests and drivers through normal client contact and through interaction and communication with project leadership
Applies understanding of client interests and drivers to their own behavior and performance of the work under his/her responsibility
May provide support to business development or pursuit activities
Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology:
Shares current knowledge of latest technology and processes
People Management - (supervision, career development, training, mentoring):
May assist with performance management process, mentoring, recognition, and any corrective actions required
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 3 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering
- A minimum of 3 years professional experience managing and leading a multi-disciplinary team to deliver water and wastewater facility design projects
- Previous consulting experience
- Proficiency with computer software, including MS Office Suite and Project Software, Bluebeam, Civil 3D and MicroStation
- Experience preparing proposals, producing design drawings, preparing technical specifications, and providing construction phase services
Learning on the Fly
Drive For Results
Listening and Dealing with Ambiguity
Intermediate knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline
Work Environment/Physical Demands
Typical Office Environment
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.