Genex is looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to support the Center Maintenance, Operations and Engineering (CMOE) contract at Nasa Langley Research Center (LaRC) in Hampton, VA.
- Support rotorcraft wind tunnel testing at NASA Langley Research Center.
- Work to analyze requirements from the customer and develop design solutions.
- Perform engineering design evaluations and stress analyses.
- Produce engineering drawings and be able to support design with calculations for fit, function and structural strength.
- Prepare model systems reports to include comprehensive stress analyses, design loads, stability reports, and risk analyses on rotorcraft models and support hardware.
- Prepare and present designs at various design reviews using MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Produce other required design documentation.
- Other duties include providing wind tunnel test support for rotorcraft models, primarily monitoring real-time loads.
- Perform other duties as required.
U.S. Citizenship required. BS degree in engineering and five (5) to eight (8) years of related engineering experience, or a MS degree and four (4) to six (6) years of related engineering experience, or Ph.D. and zero (0) to three (3) years of related experience.
Essential Functions:Work Environment:
- Experience designing mechanical systems.
- Experience with requirements development, design trades, risk analysis, and system analysis.
- Ability to produce drawings, perform dimensional fit tolerance analysis and support design with calculations for fit, function, and structural strength.
- Experience in designing aerospace hardware preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience using solid modeling CAD software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Office Environment (45%) Test Environment- May be exposed to areas of high noise levels, hazardous propellants, chemicals, and industrial facility environments (45%) Travel between various facilities/test operations is required (10%)
Must have sufficient mobility to enter all areas of test facilities; crawl, climb ladders, enter confined spaces, ability to work at elevated levels on platforms and scaffolding, etc. (20%). Must be able to walk, stand, bend, twist and sit for extended periods as well as climb, crawl, and lift up to 35 lbs.
Equipment and Machines:
Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, fax, etc.) with knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Finite Element Analysis, (50%), Safety and personal protective equipment (20%).
Regular attendance mandatory (100%), Overtime/work outside normal schedule required (<20%)
Other Essential Functions:
U.S. Citizenship required. Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety/risk hazard to the employee or others. Must be able to balance scope, schedule and budget to insure project success. The work environment requires the ability to cooperate and work with individuals at all levels of the company and the client. Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance. A valid driver's license is required.