Nature of Work:
This is skilled work in the operation and maintenance of heating, ventilation and other mechanical equipment. Work involves operating, adjusting, and maintaining mechanical equipment located in buildings owned by the City of Omaha. Incumbents may also be required to perform minor plumbing and electrical maintenance.
Education and Experience:
(The knowledge, skills, and abilities above may be acquired through, but are not limited to, the following combination of education and/or experience.)
Education equivalent experience:
- Trade School, Certification, License, or Other Training
- Experience in the operation, maintenance, and repair of high pressure steam boilers, ventilation equipment, and in making varied repairs to plumbing and mechanical equipment.
Must acquire a third grade stationary engineers certificate issued by the City of Omaha within eighteen (18) months after initial hire.May be required to possess and maintain a valid class O drivers license depending on the department and division in which the position is located.Must possess a forklift operators permit by the end of the probationary period.
$20.93 with step increases to $26.65/Hour
Forty-hour work week; twelve days of paid vacation per year for the first five years, sick leave, and twelve paid holidays. The City offers an employee group health insurance which includes major medical for individual or Family plan; Cash Pension Program, plus Social Security. See our website at www.cityofomaha.org (under the Employment section, Benefits link) for detailed information.
Who Can Apply:
Any person who meets the qualifications and other requirements described in this posting.
How to Apply:
Completed City of Omaha employment applications must be submitted using the on-line application from the City website. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to check and ensure that any and all required application materials and supplemental forms are received by the City of Omaha Human Resources Department by the stated deadline. You may confirm receipt of any materials and forms by contacting the Human Resources Department. If the materials are not received in the Human Resources Department by the stated deadline, they will not be considered. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you do not meet the requirements at the time of this posting, once you do meet the requirements you may apply when it is posted again.
City of Omaha, Human Resources Department
1819 Farnam, St., Suite 506
Omaha, NE 68183
The multiple choice/written examination will be on January 15, 2020 at varied times at the Omaha/Douglas Civic Center, 1819 Farnam Street, 7th floor, room 702. An invitation via email to the multiple choice exam will be given to candidates once their application has been received, reviewed by a recruiter, and accepted to the test for the position. The test is designed to assess knowledge of the job, skills, and abilities of this position. Questions will cover XXXX. The passing score on the multiple choice examination is 60%. This will be weighted 100% in the final score.
To claim five (5) points for Veteran’s preference, you must submit proof of service (such as a DD-214) that includes date of induction, date of honorable separation, and Social Security number. (You must have completed more than 180 consecutive days of active duty.) To receive an additional five (5) points credit for disability, you must submit proof of eligibility from Veterans Administration dated within the last 12 months. This information must be submitted to the Human Resources Department by January 15, 2020.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Competencies and skills:
- Knowledge of the principles governing the operation of high pressure steam boilers, steam generation, and steam heating systems
- Knowledge of the standard tools and practices used in the repair and maintenance of various heating, ventilation and building machinery
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions in high pressure boiler, and ventilation operation
- Knowledge of basic electrical and plumbing systems repair
- Skill in the operation of the assigned tools and equipment
- Ability to diagnose and repair malfunctions in high pressure steam boilers, ventilation, and auxiliary equipment
- Ability to perform basic mathematical computations to include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Ability to read meters and gauges and maintain accurate records of reading
- Ability to understand written or verbal instructions
- Ability to climb, reach, balance, bend, stoop, squat, kneel, crouch, crawl, stand, walk, and lift from 75 to 100% of the time
- Ability to move objects weighing fifty (50) to one hundred (100) pounds up to 33% of the time; objects weighing twenty (20) to fifty (50) pounds from 34 to 66% of the time; and objects weighing up to twenty (20) pounds up to 100% of the time
(Any one position may not perform all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all of the duties that may be performed in positions allocated to this class.)
Conditions of Employment:
- Operates, adjusts, and maintains boilers, gas or oil fired steam plant, waste heat steam boilers, air handlers, ventilation systems, and other auxiliary equipment located in the City of Omaha buildings
- Maintains log of operations for all equipment
- Maintains equipment to include packing valves and steam fittings, oiling and cleaning motors, and changing filters
- Tests equipment and maintains a log of tests and gauge readings
- Repairs equipment to include pneumatic controls, vacuum pumps, plumbing fixtures, electrical motors, filters, and fans
- Performs minor electrical and plumbing maintenance to include replacing washers, flush valves and seals, repairing toilets, drinking fountains and water lines, and changing light bulbs
- Orders commodities (i.e. fuel oil, propane, and sand) directly related to the operation of the equipment
- Receives, verifies, and stores commodities
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates within the scope of this classification
Candidates must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or proof of permanent residence or authorization to work. The City of Omaha reserves the right to conduct criminal history, driving record, reference and credit checks and a background investigation on applicants for employment. Successfully passing a criminal background review, reference check, and if applicable, a credit check, is required as a condition of employment. If applicable, the City will require that you successfully pass a review of the driver's license, driving abstract, a pre-employment drug test, a hearing test and a back screening examination as a condition of employment. Failure to provide the information requested in the application process in a truthful, accurate and complete manner may result in disqualification, revocation of conditional employment or termination.
Applicants requiring an accommodation for the examination because of a disability should advise the Human Resources Department a minimum of 48 hours prior to the examination by emailing email@example.com
For a complete description of this job classification go to the City of Omaha's website at www.cityofomaha.org
The City of Omaha is an Equal Opportunity Employer.