Careers That Change Lives
In this exciting role as a Principal R&D Engineer you will manage the development of new products for transcatheter and surgical valve replacement that meet application, business and customer requirements.
A Day in the Life
- Work in conjunction or as a part of a product development Core Team
- Work from basic clinical need to device concept to prototype
- Interface with physicians and distil their needs into product requirements and concepts
- May lead a small design team / extended team, and develop a design development path to achieve project goals, alternatively may work largely alone to develop concepts and prototypes
- Will apply knowledge of materials and processes to come up with working designs
- May be required to progress a project from concept phase into commercialization phase and play a key role on the product / process / engineering / leadership fronts
- Will need to interface effectively with Core and extended team members and other staff, both in plant and abroad, to achieve goals.
- Work with development teams to translate customer and project requirements into performance criteria, alternative approach analyses, and selection criteria to determine the optimum design approaches.
- Lead the development of design solutions that address broad development problems involving class III implantable devices and accessories.
- Direct completion of specific verification/validation testing and analyses required to satisfy both regulatory and internal Medtronic requirements.
- Design, develop and validate new advanced test methods, measurement techniques, and fixtures.
- Prepare detailed design specifications that define performance and interface requirements for components.
- Develop verification and validation testing strategies, and perform analysis to evaluate designs for short and long term performance and reliability.
- Organize, prepare and present technical information material in a clear, effective and skillful manner to management, marketing and clinicians using high-quality drawings and prototypes.
- Direct the activities of technicians to ensure project milestones are completed correctly and on schedule.
- Coach and mentor junior level engineers
- Maintain technical knowledge current with advancing technology related to cardiovascular valve repair/replacement products and associated accessories by engaging in continuing education programs in selected disciplines and in new fields of engineering and/or project management.
- Interact professionally at all levels throughout the company and with consultants and customers. Comply with applicable corporate and departmental policies.
- Proactively manage deliverables and provide regular updates to both project and functional management. Be responsive to changes in work direction and develop creative plans for meeting aggressive business milestones.
- Perform required training and certifications to demonstrate compliance with applicable divisional and corporate policies in accordance with individual training matrix.
- Generate and document invention disclosures to secure intellectual property on therapies, procedures, and associated devices.
Nice to Have:
- Bachelors’ Degree or higher in Engineering
- 7+ years of experience with Bachelors' Degree or 5+ years with Advanced Degree
- B.S. in a relevant engineering field, preferably Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or Materials Science, with a minimum of 7 years of experience in implantable medical devices.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in a relevant engineering field, preferably Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or Materials Science, with a minimum of 5 years of experience in implantable medical devices.
- PC experience (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, etc.).
- Familiar with basic lab equipment.
- A good communicator and fluent in English, both in writing and speaking.
- Broad biomedical materials and processing knowledge
- Experience in the design and application of minimally invasive implantable devices.
- Good team skills with a high level of enthusiasm and motivation
- Knowledge of human anatomy and physiology, and fluid dynamics.
- Previous Heart Valve design, testing experience and knowledge of tissue pericardium.
- Knowledge and experience in engineering mechanics, mechanical design, and structure, FEA and properties of materials.
- Experience with reliability models, generating fatigue life (S-N) curve data.
- Experience with CAD software such as SolidWorks.
- Hands on experience with laboratory testing methods and fluid flow measurements.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)