Darn Tough Vermont® is an American manufacturer of premium, all-weather outdoor and lifestyle socks, all of which carry the industry’s only unconditional lifetime guarantee. Our product is distinguished from industry competitors with 100 percent USA manufacturing, exceptional comfort, durability, and fit.
Located in Northfield, Vermont, our mission is to be the leader in the branded, premium performance sock market. Our strong family orientation coupled with our core values of being tough, independent and respectful, while being authentic makes us a great place to work.
We promote openness, honesty, and respect through teamwork and effective leadership. We provide all of the necessary training, tools, and support to ensure we embody a proud, productive workforce committed to continuous improvement. We have yet to produce our best sock!
As we continue to scale one of the fastest-growing sock brands, we are seeking a: Product Developer who will support the Product Development Manager, Designers, in the design development process from design concept to manufacturing, by driving creative product solutions that meet the company’s initiatives on comfort, durability, and fit.
In addition, she/he will work as a member of a cooperative team-based working environment. Based on her/his experience levels, she/he may be asked to provide advice and guidance on online concepts, manufacturability, and supplier input during the design conceptualization phase; to include warranty analysis and wear testing results. She/He will manage the sampling process from prototype to hand off to the Production team.
- Partners with Product Development Manager in the development of new products, from design concept through manufacturing for B2B, D2C, and SMU channels.
- Partner with Designers to finalize artwork and technical specs for prototype packages in accordance with the calendar.
- Collaborate with Product Developer(s) to create and evaluate Knit Blocks with Knit Technician seasonally.
- Collaborate with Sample (Knit) Team and Designer to drive creative and innovative product solutions that align with design scope.
- Conduct and lead fit sessions using a live model to assess fit, proportion, knit, style, and quality of product. Able to identify and assess fit issues and provide corrective action.
- Manage tech pack, fit, Sales Kits, Pre-Pro, and TOP approval process accurately and timely. Communicate progress tracking via internal shared reports.
- Provide support to Customer Service as requested.
- Communicate with internal and external team members to inspire open communication flow with attention to detail to achieve superior products.
- Receive, track, and organize incoming prototypes and materials.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Travel domestically and internationally for development and to partner with existing and/or new vendors.
- In-depth knowledge of knit construction and pattern making/grading. Must have strong knowledge in the factory production process and circular and/or flatbed knit machinery.
- Ability to think in 3D and ability to work independently, balanced with strong willingness to collaborate and create with others.
- A self-motivated creative problem solver: must be persistent – doesn’t take ‘no’ for an answer and eager to search out solutions to the challenge at hand.
- Comfortable working hands-on with samples, i.e., measuring, taping, marking up.
- Solid command of and comfort using Illustrator, Photoshop, PLM, and Microsoft products.
- High color acuity; Farnsworth Munsell 100 Hue Test.
- Eternal optimist and a strong team player who will thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and who is willing to roll up his or her sleeves.
- Experience working in a fast-paced multi-project environment.
- Flexibility to deadline demands and seasonal schedules.
- Strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills with the ability to shift communication styles to interact successfully with different types of people.
- Ability to provide critical feedback on product function.
- Outdoor participation in activities such as hiking, running, skiing, and/or snowboarding for in-field product testing is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required) in Fashion Design, Patternmaking / Apparel Manufacturing, Industrial Design, or Mechanical Engineering.
- Alternative to Education qualification: A Bachelor’s degree in any discipline combined with a thorough global knowledge base and work experience in soft goods product development specific to technical apparel and/or accessories
- Work Experience:
- A minimum of 2 years of development experience in apparel or soft goods/accessories. Understanding of sock/manufacturing enterprises.
- Manufacturing environment – exposure to machinery, noise, and other adverse conditions for limited periods depending on the role.
- Flexible nature to manage competing and changing priorities.
- Travel locally to all of the organization’s sites and locations.
- Occasional travel on as needed basis.
This job description should not be interpreted to be a complete list of all the duties, qualifications, and responsibilities performed by the jobholder. To maintain organizational flexibility, the organization has the discretion to add, drop or change at any time the duties, responsibilities, and expectations of this position. This job description does not constitute an offer of employment, continuous employment, or an employment contract. Reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $55,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Health & safety of our employees is a priority. We take temperatures of all employees, consultants, & visitors. Increased sanitation &cleaning throughout the day is done. Desk are 6 feet or more apart. And more.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Northfield, VT 05663: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Do you require work sponsorship now or in the future?
- Were you referred by a Darn Tough employee? If yes, please list their name here.
- How did you hear about this opportunity?
- Product development: 2 years (Preferred)