Summary of Role
We are looking for an experienced, talented, and motivated AWS DevOps Engineer with significant experience in Linux, Windows, AWS, and DevOps Automation to be a key member of a small, skilled, results-oriented team of technology professionals. The role involves broad responsibility for maintaining and enhancing our AWS cloud environment. Duties include monitoring, optimization, automation, data maintenance, and support. The AWS DevOps Engineer should be a thought leader who designs and develops processes and systems to improve efficiencies and effectiveness within the NRCCUA technical space. A few examples of technologies we work with on a daily basis: AWS Core Services, Elastic Beanstalk, API Gateway, Lambda, Docker, Linux, Windows, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, MongoDB, Node.JS, Python, Exasol, the ELK stack, GitHub, JIRA & Confluence
· Provide day-to-day operational support of our applications on AWS.
· Work closely with development teams to integrate their projects into the production and test AWS environments and ensure their ongoing support.
o Be a DevOps champion - work closely with other internal teams to build security, reliability, and scalability into the development lifecycle.
o Provide input on design and AWS-related considerations / options.
o Gain functional knowledge of the applications you support.
o Dive deep into the product stack to troubleshoot as needed.
· Build engineering automation and productivity tools to streamline and scale applications in the production environment.
· Troubleshoot and resolve application development, deployments and operations issues.
· Architect and implement reliable infrastructure services on AWS, from the ground up, to deliver highly scalable services.
· Work as part of a team of peers who are smart, professional, pull their own weight, and share a passion for what they are creating.
· Serve in an on-call rotation as an escalation contact for critical production issues.
Qualifications and Experience
· 3+ years of experience administering AWS accounts and working with AWS core services (EC2, VPC, ELB, S3, CloudFormation, RDS, Elastic Beanstalk, API Gateway, etc).
· 5+ years of experience with Linux and Windows administration.
· Very strong scripting and automation skills – you believe you can automate just about everything.
· Proficiency with the AWS Console and CLI.
· Hands-on experience with troubleshooting, securing, and improving manually configured AWS environments.
· Experienced with Application Performance Monitoring (APM) and log aggregation at scale.
· Familiar with the concepts of microservice architecture and how those concepts are implemented in AWS with services such as API Gateway.
· Installing, configuring, and managing DBMS such as MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL and Mongo. Experience with Exasol is a plus.
· Experience as a champion of Infrastructure as Code. Able to lead the transformation from manual “hands-on” in AWS to Infrastructure as Code.
· A solid Ops foundation – you are always thinking, “what happens if this fails?” when you build things.
· Experience supporting application development teams who work in an iterative-based development environment using Agile/Scrum/Kanban.
· Demonstrated ability to resolve issues in AWS.
· Able to balance operational stability with budgetary requirements.
· Solid understanding of AWS billing and cost modeling.
· Experience working with SaaS-based solutions that integrate with AWS is a plus.
· Experience with build & release automation tools and methodologies. Experience with TeamCity is a plus.
· Experience using configuration management tools such as Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Chef. Experience with Terraform is a plus.
· Be accurate and deliver quality. Have a “roll up your sleeves and dive in” attitude.
· Excellent, collaborative team player with communication skills to match.
· Adaptable and flexible in meeting competing demands. You are relentless and passionate to get the job done.
· Proactive – you take responsibility and own the solution within a collaborative team environment.
· Work well under pressure and thrive in a demanding environment. Excellence is an expectation.
· An appreciation for pragmatism and simplicity in systems architecture.
· Demonstrated proactivity in capitalizing on opportunities and resolving issues.
· Intellectually curious – prepared to challenge and be challenged.
· Constantly strive to learn new technologies and look for ways to stay up to date in this rapidly changing industry.
· Patient with people and systems.
Education and Training
· BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent, or a Bachelor’s in an unrelated field with at least 5 years of professional experience. A relevant Master's degree is a plus.
· AWS certifications are a plus, as are other relevant certifications.
· Certified Scrum Master is a plus. You will be working with and supporting development teams that work using Agile-based methodologies to design, build and deliver commercial software products.
The National Research Center for College and University Admissions is an educational data science and research organization serving over 1,800 member institutions comprised of public and private four-year colleges and universities across the nation. For 45 years, NRCCUA has been a leading provider of data, technology, and programs serving students, high school educators, four-year colleges and universities from its offices in Lee’s Summit, MO, Boston, MA, New York, NY, and Austin, TX. These solutions represent the link between students making important life decisions and those providing the resources and information they need to succeed in their post-secondary educations and careers. With the launch of its Encoura™ Data Lab, the company now combines data science, advanced analytics, research, predictive modeling and omnichannel enrollment services in one platform to enable institutions to make real-time strategic and operational decisions to meet their unique enrollment goals and create the highest probability of student success.
NRCCUA is now part of ACT. ACT is a mission-driven, nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people achieve education and workplace success. Headquartered in Iowa City, Iowa, ACT is trusted as the nation’s leader in college and career readiness, providing high-quality achievement assessments grounded in more than 50 years of research and experience. ACT offers a uniquely integrated set of solutions that help people succeed from elementary school through career, providing insights that unlock potential.
NRCCUA is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. All applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
NRCCUA endeavors to make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities and disabled veterans pursuant to applicable federal and state law. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability and need an alternative method for applying, please contact Human Resources with your specific accommodation request.
Job Type: Full-time
Visa Sponsorship Potentially Available: