The Unity Developer will oversee the development and maintenance of live mobile games. You will drive the implementation of new features that will help us evolve and take our games to new heights, growing our player base and bringing our fans back for more. Scaling our games into the top of the charts, you’ll have an opportunity to ensure our new features maintain optimal performance and continue to engage our players around the globe.
Why this Role is Made for You:
You March to a Different Beat
You’re not looking for a job, you are looking for a challenge and the opportunity to be more than a Dev who gets handed a ‘task’ and develops. You are hungry to bring your own ideas into the studio and have the opportunity and tools to create your masterpiece.
You’re in the Driver’s Seat
As a Unity Developer, you’ve tackled interesting problems to help deliver games that are optimized for performance and fun. You’ve suggested new ideas, anticipated challenges down the road, and implemented new tools to help teams work smarter. You also enjoy mentoring other developers and providing strategic leadership to the team.
Our Culture - Happy Life, Happy Hippo.
We care about making great games because we love games and are rewarded for our hard work in spades. Our benefits and working vibe encourage and allow you to live your dreams in Kelowna: an affordable, picturesque, and diverse city, only an hour flight from Vancouver, BC Canada.
Our next Unity Developer will have (a):
- LOVE for video games
- Creativity - everyone here gets to design the games we make
- Ability to rapidly prototype game ideas, but also write scalable code when needed
- Self-sufficiency, ability to unblock yourself, do your own R&D and create solutions independently
- Ability to write code that is easy to read and debug
- Proactive in sharing knowledge with peers
- Strong work ethic – ensuring products are in a shippable state before communicating that it is done
- Strong communicator sharing project status, dependencies, risks, costs, and options
You’ll Bring to Hyper Hippo:
- 3+ years commercial experience with Unity and C#.
- Strong software engineering skills.
- Experience providing cross-device solutions that address performance, reliability, security, and scalability issues.
- Knowledge and expertise in making networked multiplayer games is a plus.
- Computer Science/Software Engineering degree or equivalent work experience.
Every Hippo is an entrepreneur. Here at Hyper Hippo you - yes, YOU- are the master of your destiny and the creative expert of your domain. Say goodbye to the days of meeting after meeting and embrace the chance to own and be accountable for your success. We enable our team to create beautiful and fun experiences that our global community love to play. We answer to our players, not shareholders and the entire studio is invested in the success of our games.
"Wait, what?! This isn’t how game studios operate!”
Well, we’re putting the creative power back in the hands of our team to help us explore, fail fast, and create amazing games. We are disruptive in our approach to management and assume that if we’ve hired you, YOU are the best person to lead and direct us within your area of expertise.
You’ll make decisions that you’ve never had an opportunity to make before and toggle between the bird’s eye view of supporting the game development process and the granular details to ensure we’re on schedule, within budget and most importantly - having fun while doing it.
When every person in the studio is accountable for their realm of expertise, something magical happens. We make great games. This is because we innovate (and fail) fast and support one another to be the best version of ourselves.
Welcome to Hyper Hippo.
- Competitive salary
- Extraordinary profit sharing program
- All the other Dental, Health, Wellness Benefits
- 3 weeks vacation
- 10 personal days per year
- Annual self development budget (up to $3000 per year) to attend conferences, courses, training – you name it
- Referral bonuses for finding awesome Hippos
- Social impact "Hippo Gift Matching"
- So much more to share with you!
Job Type: Full-time
- Unity: 3 years (Required)