Who We Are
Edison is a communication-focused professional engineering and project management firm specializing in the repair and restoration of existing buildings. Our offices are located in Dundas, London, Cambridge, and Markham. Find out more at edisonengineers.ca.
What is the organization’s Strategic Vision?
MISSION: Edison is committed to delivering customized and pragmatic engineering services. We develop and sustain long term relationships built on trust and reliability. We adapt our services and solutions to the objectives and financial constraints of our clients, and we strive to create a rewarding workplace for our team to help us in delivering the best quality service.
OBJECTIVE: We proactively educate, engage, and empower our clients in their projects to help them develop and deliver informed strategies for their building assets. We actively drive projects to successful completion on time and within budget. We demand quality from contractors and we consistently and clearly communicate with our clients and all project stakeholders.
Key Result areas for this role
· Document Preparation: The AutoCAD Operator is responsible for the daily design document preparation of commercial, retail, municipal, and various other civil/architectural design projects. The underlying focus of the AutoCAD Operator should be providing the most comprehensive and accurate construction documents feasible in the time allocated. Perform the preparation of civil and architectural construction documents in keeping with the firm’s design philosophy. That philosophy is to provide the client not only what is necessary from a permitting standpoint, but also to provide the client with a set of documents that will allow the successful bidder to construct the project efficiently and with minimal changes in the scope of work. Integration and detailed understanding of multiple key factors should be considered during the course of design. Some key factors to consider are Edison Engineers Inc. drafting standard, Clarity and accuracy of the document, Sound engineering practice, Municipal regulations and requirements and Client dictated design criteria.
· Design and Tender: Prepare straightforward plans and designs for repairs, in accordance with established codes, standards, drawings, or other specifications.
· Communications / Client Service: Help us develop and maintain long-term relationships with clients through consistent communication, asking questions, and seeking ways to improve our services.Follow-up on requests and drive projects to completion. Answer emails immediately. Build strong relationships internally with Edison team members by responding to task requests and emails immediately. Provide regular updates to Project Managers regarding the status of projects. Ensure understanding of work tasked and drive tasks to completion.
· Process / Procedure / Templates / Knowledge Development: We aim to deliver the best service to clients and to deliver customized engineering services. Continuous improvement is a key component to our long-term success. Associates can take the lead in building, implementing, and continuously improving Edison processes, procedures, and templates. Take the initiative to increase knowledge of building components and systems to help grow your career. Understand the knowledge behind each specification section and drawings on a project-by-project basis. Add knowledge articles and information to the Edison database. Add knowledge learned to specification templates. Add and update standard details to specification drawing templates.
What Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Are Required for success in this role
· Education: This position requires an associate’s degree.
· The applicant should have exceptional communication skills, exhibit great attention to detail, be capable of handling multiple projects and be a team player.
· Experience in the civil or architectural design fields is desired as applicable experience will be considered when determining compensation and level of responsibility. However, entry-level AutoCAD Operator positions are available to applicants with minimal experience.
· Leadership and Influence: Set an example of performance and integrity. Create a results-focused work environment. View issues from own and others’ points of view. Demonstrate systemic and strategic thinking.
· Analytical and Decision-Making: Make decisions on accurate data. Master statistical and qualitative analysis of projects. Communicate risk and own decisions made.
· Interpersonal Relations: Value the synergy of working with others. Show respect, confidence & a helping attitude. Team player. Willing to take unpopular stances when needed.
· Communication: Keep others appropriately informed. Show the ability to listen and understand; facilitate communication. Write & speak clearly, concisely with confidence.
· Planning and Organization: Develop plans and preventive & contingency actions; set priorities. Well organized. Consider others when planning. Work efficiently and fast.
· Adaptation / Flexibility: Views problems as opportunities. Accepts questioning. Shows confidence in ambiguous situations. Deals with change without frustration.
· Accountability: The AutoCAD Operator is expected to operate as part of a team. They are directly accountable to a Project Manager and ultimately accountable to the Practice Area Leader. The AutoCAD Operator is required to maintain strong team relationships by working closely with the Project Manager during the design document preparation phase of the project.
· Motivation and Commitment: Persistent. Encourage others in the achievement of goals. Drive to deliver exceptional results.
· Technical Knowledge of the Area: Sound technical knowledge, skills, and abilities. Stays updated. Understands system/process dynamics across functions.
o Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
o PDF Editor
· Decision Making and Problem Solving: Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
· Critical and Creative Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems. Developing, designing, or creating new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or methods.
· Communication and Active Listening: Provide information clearly and concisely in written form or verbally. Give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
· Coordination and Social Perceptiveness: Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions. Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
The position is available in our Dundas, London, Cambridge, or Markham office. Applicants are asked to send a cover letter and resume. Only those selected for further discussion will be contacted.
Application deadline: 2021-06-30
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $17.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Profit sharing
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Work from home
Edison strictly adheres to all Public Health guidelines. In addition, Edison has implemented it's own COVID-19 Policy in regards to working in the office and on-site.
- AutoCAD: 1 year (preferred)
- Drafting: 1 year (preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19