Imerys is a world leader in creating specialty solutions that improve everyday life through minerals. Our success is built on our people, and creating an environment where our 16,800 employees around the globe can thrive. We passionately believe that our teams are at their best when they have the opportunity to learn, collaborate and find new ways to solve our customers’ challenges, no matter what part of the business they are in.
We can offer you a variety of work and real opportunities to make an impact and be part of our evolution. If you want to grow your skills and develop your career, find out more at www.imerys.com
JOB PURPOSE (Job Objective)
The Electrical and Reliability Engineer position is responsible for developing, implementing and executing predictive, preventive and corrective program, by providing technical leadership and support to Maintenance and Operations which will result in improved equipment reliability and continuous improvements of various mechanical and electrical equipment categories on the site. This position shall serve as site electrical expert for the repair, troubleshooting and maintenance of electrical systems ranging from 11 kV, 4160, 480, 277,220 and 120 VAC to include low voltage control instrumentation/automation circuits. The primary focus of this role will be to provide support and guidance on plant’s equipment reliability efforts and reliability engineering support for small and medium projects as well as coordination of planning of major and specialized reliability related tasks, and to take ownership of the plant’s inspection functions and plans. Guide site efforts to ensure reliability and maintainability of equipment, utilities, facilities, controls and safety, security systems. The Electrical and Reliability Engineer shall strive to realize improved site reliability through coordinate efforts with Process, Production, and Project and Maintenance departments
DIMENSIONS (Facts and Figures)
- Initiation of Work Permits for jobs that are specified by the Electrical Engineer
- Takes and active role in coaching and improving safety in the plant
- Operates in accordance with the Lafarge Group’s Principles of Action and Company policy.
- Receives from line manager: Annual objectives and performance reviews, indications about short-term and mid-term plant priorities.
- Operates in conjunction with the Production and Development departments and other areas within the Maintenance department.
- Jointly responsible for generating work orders on plant control equipment, instrumentation and electrical systems.
RESOURCES MANAGED: (Direct and dotted-line management relationships)
- Mechanical/Electrical Inspector : direct report
- Electrical/Automation Supervisor: direct report
- Reliability Specialist : direct report
- Maintenance Technicians – Duel Trades; part of inspection team: (dotted line)
CONTEXT (Nature and Scope of Activities)
- Troubleshoots and Oversees instrumentation, PLC’s and Medium Voltage Distribution equipment for conformance with operational standards.
- Assists in training and indoctrination of workers to improve work performance and to acquaint workers with company policies and procedures.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase the efficiency in the plant.
- Expected to participate as a rotating Duty Manager and be on call for related activities
- Assist in managing all the electrical documentation, technical files and drawings of new installations with a particular focus on predictive / preventative maintenance planning.
- Assist in development of the budget and project plans.
- Active participation in meetings and discussions on reliability and maintenance strategy – Making suggestions to optimize the predictive / preventative maintenance process.
- Take part in the choice of new equipment.
- Assist in making sure the planned maintenance electrical work procedures are up to date and account for the health, safety, and environmental requirements.
- Work with Trades to create PMs for new/modified equipment.
- Expected to participate as a rotating Duty Manager and be on call for related activities.
- Fill in as vacation relief for department members.
- Facilitate the development of appropriate Reliability and Maintainability analytics that align with targeted site goals and objectives
- Produce engineering reports to identify and highlight repair work scopes and FMA and recommendations to enable continuous improvements to be implemented on site electrical distribution network, automation and control circuit and instrumentation.
- Develop, implement and manage predictive maintenance programs that facilitate preventive maintenance activities that are condition based where applicable rather than time based (i.e. vibration, infrared thermography, ultrasonic flow and noise , oil analysis, Motor curve signature analysis)
- Develop a working knowledge of plant assets, identify new technologies and implement on site to improve reliability and reduce maintenance cost
- Develop an understanding of the plant’s equipment (gas flows and process flows), DCS systems and control logic, work with process coordinators to implement process improvements
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KEY RESULT AREAS (Major Objectives)
- Safety –Implementation of electrical safety guidelines and procedures for electrical work is compliant with NEC, OSHA, NFPA 70E and Company Safety Regulations.
- Personnel – Development of maintenance electricians to Level 5 Instrumentation Technician status through on-the-job and formal/informal training, assign work and supervise electricians on a day-to-day basis.
- Equipment - Ensure the reliability of plant electrical and control equipment
- Planning – Oversee Electrical jobs and shutdown schedules are coordinated with Production
- Review weekly and monthly KPIs
- Budget – Participate in the budget creation for electrical and automation work. Drive the implementation and upkeep the Electrical 3-5 Year equipment plan.
- Quality – Ensure that the Electrical work conforms to the standards and guidelines established in the ISO 9002 quality assurance manual
- Environment – Ensure compliance to the plant operating permit.
- Shutdowns – Oversee the electrical planning and execution of shutdown jobs. Ensure the correct work is being done and follow up work is properly tracked through the planning workflow.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Proficient using Siemens PCS7 & Modicon (Programming and Troubleshooting)
- Experience navigating a CMMS
- Strong organizational, verbal, communication, and planning skills
- Extensive attention to detail in regards to equipment operation
- Experience with low/medium voltage distribution equipment
- Working knowledge of industrial NEC Codes and relevant Electrical Safety Procedures
- Experience with Electrical Reliability preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures and government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Previous experience with planning/managing mechanical jobs.
- Must be familiar with Microsoft/G-suite programs.
- Prefer better than average typing skills
- Needs previous experience communicating/working with outside contractors.
- Knowledge around shutdown planning preferred.
- Minimum of a B.S. Engineering (Electrical or Electrical Engineering Technology)
- Minimum of 5 years of plant or related experience in maintenance or process manufacturing field
DEGREE OF SUPERVISION OR DIRECTION
- Minimal supervision or direction – must be a self-starter and accomplish his tasks in a team environment
- Needs the ability to challenge status quo to encourage positive changes.
- Must be able to communicate with hourly trades and contractors certain job scopes.
- Needs to have the ability to manage multiple ongoing projects at one time.
IMERYS has been in the Hampton Roads area for almost a 100 years. Located near the Jordan Bridge in Chesapeake, VA, we offer a great place to work with great competitive salary and an excellent annual bonus program for every employee. Besides the normal benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life and AD&D insurance, we offer dependent life insurance, critical care, hospitalization and accidental insurance. We have a great 401(k) retirement plan with a great company match as well as an annual profit sharing contribution. We even offer pet insurance.
Wellness is a big part of who we are, we partner with Virgin Pulse to offer our employees incentives to get moving by offering company contributions to your Health Savings Account, and up to $75 quarterly in e-gift cards to your favorite stores. We offer free Sam's Club or BJ Wholesale memberships to all our employees and their spouse and discount Regal cinema movie tickets. We like to eat as well. We have numerous cookouts throughout the summer as well as an annual ice cream social.
If this sounds good to you, we encourage you to apply and come be a part of our team.
Job Type: Full-time
- reliability systems: 1 year (Preferred)
- manufacturing: 2 years (Required)
- electrical engineer: 2 years (Required)