***POSITION CAN BE REMOTE - WORK FROM HOME***
Job Title: Engineer (L1/L2/L3)
Reports To: Engineering Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
SUMMARY: Design residential, commercial, and utility scale PV Systems utilizing remotely gathered survey data. Provide feedback to survey teams to obtain additional necessary data. Perform in person surveys as necessary for complex systems requiring On-Site Engineer Inspections. Create detailed instructions for installation crews to prevent installation errors. Provide technical sales support as necessary. Complete technical paperwork, design/cost analysis, demand/battery/consumption analysis, & interface with the balance of the engineering team on special projects.
- L1 - 40% Compentiency of Duties & Responsibilities
- L2 - 70% Compentiency of Duties & Responsibilities
- L3 - 95% Compentiency of Duties & Responsibilities
- L3 Engineer must be able to complete Sr. Estimator Job Responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Items marked with * are essential job functions)
- Maintain the Simpleray standards of Safety, Quality and Production in that order.*
- Provide design specifications for residential, commercial, and utility scale PV Systems.*
- Module Layout
- Battery Backup/Self Consumption/Demand Mitigation
- Create single line and three line drawings as necessary, including monitoring and communication systems.*
- Maintain active knowledge on various solar technologies.*
- Perform design calculations related to string sizing, voltage drop, current capacity, overcurrent protection, wire sizing, etc.*
- Design flush roof mounted, ballast mounted, carport/canopy, fixed tilt ground mounted, and single-axis tracker systems.*
- Know Federal, State, and Local ordinance and regulations required to design systems that will pass all required applications and inspections. Mastery of current NEC is required.*
- Perform structural analysis on buildings to determine load bearing capacity.
- Work without outside engineering firms to get drawings stamped as necessary.*
- Work with outside engineering firms for the preparation of civil engineering, geotechnical engineering, erosion & sediment control plans, and other necessary services outside of in house engineering capabilities for projects.
- Perform site assessments & surveys for complex locations that exceed the capabilities of survey teams.
- Perform job functions contained on Estimator/Sr. Estimator Job Description (see attached).*
- Assist sales team with remote technical support and onsite support as needed.*
- Assist with the creation of detailed Scope of Work Statements as needed for subcontractors.
- Review plansets by Drafting team and provide feedback and corrections as necessary.*
- Complete technical analysis of utility bills and demand data to determine savings data and appropriate system sizing.*
- Travel as necessary to perform job related functions that require being in the field.
- Perform computer simulations of PV system performance and energy production to optimize efficiency.*
- Perform wind tunnel testing to determine ballasting requirements.
- Import site specific data to CAD from Drone to create accurate layouts.*
- Provide technical support and/or direction to installation teams during as necessary.*
- Provide exact GPS coordinate locations for pile installations on ground mounted systems.
- Provide additional engineering specifications for ancillary services sold in conjunction with PV Systems, such as service upgrades, generators, demand mitigation systems, etc.*
- Perform value engineering during design process.*
- Follow Simpleray technical standards during specification process.*
- Update documents per redlines to as-built conditions.*
- Continuing Education to maintain active knowledge of current standards and practices within the solar industry and relevant codes along with maintenance of certifications.*
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups and/or boards of directors.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of word processing software, spreadsheet software, design software (CAD program), internet software, and project management software. Solar monitoring systems and SCADA systems as well as advanced networking with RS485, Modbus, and TCP IP are necessary. Helioscope, PVSyst, and other solar modeling software is also necessary along with drone/UAV flight planning and image processes/rendering. Aptitude in learning new computer systems necessary.
Previous experience with Slack, Zendesk, demand/battery modeling software, wind tunnel test modeling, and other related engineering items highly desirable.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Engineering, or minimum of five years equivalent experience in directly equivalent work position.
- Master’s Degree Highly Preferred
- 2-Years Solar Design Experience
- 2-Years AutoCAD Experience
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
Valid Driver's License
NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional or Design Specialist Required, can obtain within 180 days of hire
OSHA 10 Required
FAA 107 License preferred
- General Office Equipment
- Measurement tools
- Power tools
- Hand tools
- Fall Protection
- Ladders / Mechanical Lifts
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND OTHER ABILITIES:
- Ability to be insured by Simpleray (driving co. vehicle or machinery)
- Advanced Electrical Knowledge
- Advanced Construction Knowledge
- Advanced PV Theory
- Advanced Computer Aptitude
- Understanding of Financial Concepts and Modeling
- Understanding of Quoting, Margin, Sales Tax, etc.
- Understanding of Utility Electrical Interface
- Oral Communication Skills
- Written Communication Skills
- Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Technical Communications
- Math Aptitude
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Inductive Reasoning
- Deductive Reasoning
- Information Ordering
- Problem Sensitivity
- Selective Attention
- Fluency of Idea
- Flexibility of Closure
- Time Management
- Reading Skills
- Strong Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to have close, distance, and peripheral vision. Requirements also include the ability to percept depth, the ability to adjust focus and the ability to see color.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to work in high, precarious places and outdoor weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to work in wet or humid (non-weather) conditions and risk of electric shock. The employee will also be exposed to small spaces such as attics and crawl spaces. The employee is occasionally exposed to working near moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and vibrations. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00 to $85,000.00 /hour
- Autocad: 2 years (Required)
- Solar Design: 4 years (Required)