- Position will be based primarily in the field at a client location near downtown Detroit.
- AECOM is actively seeking an experienced and highly talented Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO) Engineer for immediate employment in one of our southeast Michigan Offices (Southfield and/or Detroit). This position will be part of a talented team of experts providing professional services to various Transportation Operations Centers (TOC).
Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO) is an integrated approach to the optimization of the performance of existing multimodal infrastructure by implementing systems, services, and projects to maximize capacity and improve the security, safety, and reliability of the transportation system. This position will assist Southeast Michigan TOC, MDOT, and AECOM in the identification, deployment, and integration of TSMO strategies, technologies, and solutions. These efforts will result in a more efficient use of planned and existing transportation resources to address freeway and arterial congestion, improve safety, reliability, mobility, and encourage sustainability.
Support SEMTOC and other TOC’s in a variety of manners as the Michigan TOC operations environment is poised for change with future major construction projects, deployment of new technologies, and development of operational strategies. Areas of involvement include but are not limited to Active Traffic Management (ATM) systems, ramp metering, integrated corridor management, active arterial signal systems, Integrated Corridor Management (ICM), Travel Demand Management (TDM), Intelligent Transportation systems (ITS), smart city solutions, connected and automated vehicle platforms, and various other advanced transportation technology systems.
Build relationships and connect with various SEMTOC and MDOT business areas (including construction, maintenance, design, ITS, traffic signals, congestion & mobility, winter operations, traffic &safety, etc.) to identify opportunities for TSMO integration and solutions.
Provide supplemental technical support to MDOT and on-site AECOM team staff members.
Assist with the development and integration of automated, user-friendly metrics and dashboards to illustrate various performance measures and identify areas for potential improvement for freeway and arterial corridors.
Work closely with AECOM, MDOT, and other clients to identify, develop, and integrate new technologies, services, and strategies into daily TOC operations which have a positive impact on freeway/ non-freeway operations in SE Michigan.
Utilize arterial systems during incidents or construction events. Make recommendations or adjustments as appropriate.
Work with Operators and other Control Room staff regarding opportunities to improve traffic flow during incidents/ events.
Coordinate with staff for the advance planning of upcoming construction projects, as well as real-time construction activities and impact mitigation.
HS + 6 YORE or AA/AS + 4 YORE
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, transportation planning, or similar field of study
- Minimum 2.5 years of experience in the transportation sector
- Strong communication skills - both written and verbal
- Ability to identify and propose approaches to solve new problems encountered.
- Experience with Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Experience with reports, studies, systems integration, testing and more
- Must clear a criminal background check and pass a drug screening
- Stable employment history
+ Master's degree
+ Ability to obtain a PE within 6 months of accepting the position
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is
pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions
inclusion, diversity and overall
employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our
core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only
delivering a better world , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.