ENTRY LEVEL TECHNICAL SHIFT ENGINEER
This is a 2 – 3-year development position that will help develop new engineers for future engineering roles at Pilot Chemical. Direct support of plant operators, maintenance mechanics and laboratory technicians to ensure the production schedule is executed while maintaining product quality, equipment reliability and personnel safety. The Technical Shift Engineer (TSE) is responsible for continuous improvement including documentation review, training program execution and improvement area identification. The TSE will collaborate with a Technical Shift Supervisor (TSS) to directly engage with the continuous-shift operator teams to meet operational goals.
· Production operators report indirectly to this position.
· Prioritize work for area, assign personnel appropriately.
· Work with the operators to progress on individual training plans / development plans.
· Develop, review, update, train & enforce plant work instructions and procedures.
· Provide opportunities for operators to engage in plant improvement objectives.
· Foster an environment of teamwork
· Work with system-trained operators to identify processing pain points and work with operations team to implement corrective actions and/or continuous improvement projects.
· Ensure all work (operations, maintenance and contract) is performed in a safe and environmentally appropriate manner.
· Partner with EHS&S leadership to engage operators in EHS&S improvements
· Insure Ops. Team compliance with LOTO, MOC & all permitting requirements
· Review and act as gatekeeper for safety permits prior to work commencement
· Promptly investigate and report all EHS&S incidents
· Drive Product Quality initiatives to improve 1st Pass Quality.
· Lead operator teams focused on Quality problem initiatives.
· Participate in Quality Plan formation and execution.
· Insure proper execution of New Product Introduction trials.
· Middletown Plant Representative
· Able to articulate vision/strategy & individual plant contribution to goal.
· Engage operators to identify & drive Best Practices in operations.
· Drive MOC use in operations.
· TSE will work with Production Supervisor, Production Manager, and MDT Technical Manager to ensure progress through an individualized development plan.
· B.S. Degree in Chemical Engineering with 0-3 year’s Chemical Manufacturing experience.
· Technical writing expertise; proven verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to work effectively with teams as both a leader and member.
· Ability to apply analytical and problem-solving skills to achieve process improvements.
· Team player with good relationships with peers, subordinates, and superiors.
· Proven “hands on” skills that include measuring and improving process performance and leading, instructing, and training others in those improvements.
· Ability to reach all work areas in the plant (i.e. climb ladders, negotiate catwalks, handle heights to 50 feet, etc.), to lift twist and turn up to 50 lb. (i.e. open and close large valves, inspect equipment, don emergency PPE, etc.) and to expeditiously lead plant emergencies.
· Competency in process optimization.
· Ability to work 12 hour rotating shifts for the first 3 years, switching from night shift to day shift and vice versa every 3-4 months.
· Cross-functional experience in manufacturing areas (EHS&S, Quality, SC).
· Process Control troubleshooting skills a plus.
· Training in organization and time management.
· Familiarity with a quality management system, SPC, and/or continuous improvement.
Pilot Chemical is an equal opportunity employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our workforce. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.
Join our growing team!
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- 12 hour shift
- Night shift
- This position requires ability to work rotating shifts for the first 3 years, which include day shifts, night shifts and weekend hours. Are you able to meet this requirement?