Wyandotte Services, Wyandotte, OK has an immediate requirement to provide and full time experienced Power System Protection Engineer for a long-term contract for the U.S. Department of Energy, Western Area Power Administration (WAPA). Loveland, CO.
Background: WAPA’s statutory mission is to market and deliver cost-based hydroelectric power and related services. WAPA’s service area covers 1.3 million square miles. WAPA’s wholesale power customers provide service to millions of consumers in 15 western states. WAPA operates and maintains approximately 17,033 miles of transmission lines, 300 substations and other related facilities.
· Minimum 10 years of experience in working as a senior level protection engineer at a diverse and geographically dispersed high voltage (100 kV and above) transmission company;
· Expert knowledge of protective relaying theory, relaying equipment and system models to perform symmetrical component calculations and fault studies used to predict performance of protective relaying on the power system;
· Expert knowledge of the operation and maintenance practices associated with major electrical apparatus, protective relays, outdoor substation equipment, metering equipment and communication systems to provide expert engineering advice to Rocky Mountain Region;
· Expert knowledge of the electric utility industry, electric utility maintenance practices, NERC, WECC/MRO reliability standards and CIP standards as they relate to the industry in order to interpret and to make judgments on requirements to meet those standards.
· Assist in developing and maintaining computer based models of the power system for calculations required for relay setting accuracy;
· Assist in developing and reviewing relay settings for the protection systems at RMR and assist in reviews of relay actions to determine if the protection systems work properly. Recommend changes in settings to remedy coordination and other problems;
· Assist field personnel to implement changes to relay settings;
· Provide engineering assistance and recommendations to the field offices on system protection and power system related issues to ensure proper system operation and design consistency;
· Assist in system protection and metering issues.
· The Contractor employee shall keep abreast of technical developments in the system protection and metering fields and, when applicable, incorporate as they apply to the operation and maintenance of RMR’s power system;
· Assist in the preparation for and completion of NERC, WECC/MRO and CIP compliance standards audits or investigations and assist in the development and implementation of mitigation plans to comply with audit findings.
· Assist with the communication and collaboration with other Regions and HQ to assure that the approach toward compliance is coordinated within WAPA.
· Assist in establishing process for reviewing settings and develop template to document settings recommendations;
· Contribute to written deliverable s produced by the team.
· Bachelors of Science Degree from a duly recognized and accredited 4-year public or private college or university is required.
· Must be a US Citizen
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- protective relay theory: 5 years (Preferred)
- senior level portection engineer: 5 years (Preferred)
- NERC WECC/MRO: 5 years (Preferred)