We have an immediate opening for a Tooling Engineer in Arcadia, LA. The purpose of the Tooling Engineer is to support Engineering department by assisting with developing tooling, mechanical drawings and developing/improving project plans and documentation. Work with Tooling Engineer / Supervisor developing, designing, and sustaining tooling inventories for entire facility. Utilize cost effective management of tooling inventories to support customer needs, support and improve on-time deliveries, and increase inventory turns. Recommend and support capital projects. Provide project support specifically for Tooling, Mechanical Engineering, Maintenance, and Manufacturing. Support Lean Manufacturing and utilize SPC techniques / controls.
Role Qualifications: (Required) & (Preferred)
Education: Bachelor degree in Engineering from an accredited institution. (R) Mechanical or Industrial Engineering discipline. (P)
Experience: Engineering project background with teams. 1-3 years of experience at industrial facility. Supervisory. Inventory management. Procurement. (P)
Areas of Knowledge: Engineering, Drafting and computer use. (R) Enhanced math skills, Statistics, 2D CAD, 3D CAD, Finite Element Analysis, Metallurgical, CNC. Inventory management. (P)
Skills: Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word & PowerPoint) and CAD (R), P Experience with using SolidWorks and/or AutoCAD. Supervisory. Personal Organization and Time Management. (R).
Global Accountabilities for the Role:
- Safety: Establish and maintain a clean, safe work environment, assure processes specified follow best safety practices.
- Environmental: Give full support to the function, interactions of the managements systems subscribed to by the facility (i.e. AS 9100, ISO 9001, ISO 14001, BSI 18001).
- Quality: Completing all accountabilities professionally and accurately maintain, effective cross functional communications and relationships, and providing timely input to the direct manager.
- Productivity: Improve bottleneck areas of processes to achieve capacity and enhance efficiency in a timely manner.
- Costs: Optimize resources and time, report ways to improve cost effectiveness of the tubular manufacturing organization.
Specific Accountabilities for the Role:
- Tooling: Under the direction of Tooling Engineer / Supervisor, develop expertise in designing tools for pilger machines and maintaining necessary inventories to ensure on time deliveries. Develop metallurgical knowledge and understanding of tool steels for processing HASTELLOY and Titanium alloys. Maintain working records of tooling life. Evaluate tools for continuous improvement opportunities. Develop inspection criteria for approving and ensuring tools meet required specification standards. Maintain working database on all mill inventory tools.
- Drawing Improvement: Updating and organizing drawings to improve efficiency in locating the proper drawings. Making needed changes to drawings required by converting paper drawings to electronic documents; scanned image, 2D Cad, 3D models.
- Documentation Improvement: Updating and organizing tooling systems for spares parts management, tooling design and inventory, preventive and corrective procedures, and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Special Projects: Improve tooling design using advanced software, Solid Works 3D modeling, finite element analysis, failure analysis, and CNC capability. Tooling data analysis. Machine component design, reverse engineering, project engineering.
- Production. Cold pilger mill tooling setup techniques. Cold pilger mill operation and functions. Weld mill and draw bench functions and capability. Familiar with other manufacturing processes, furnace, pickling, straightening, etc.
- Maintenance. Familiar with cold pilger mill maintenance. Knowledgeable regarding fabrication and machining equipment and techniques.
- Supervisor: Develop personal skill set to productively fill in for the tooling setup supervisor.
- Quality / EH&S: Give full support to the function, interactions of the managements systems subscribed to by the facility (i.e. AS 9100, ISO 9001, ISO 14001, BSI 18001).
- Capital Expenditures: Identify, evaluate and recommend long term investments for the continuous renewal and renovation of the facility by proving return on investment opportunities through cost benefit analysis.
- Lean / Six Sigma / SPC: Utilize monitoring techniques and controls to assure processes are centered and reliable by removing causes of defects and variability.
Working Relationships: (Roles/Titles)
- Manager-once-Removed: Engineering Manager
- Manager: Senior Tooling Engineer
- Direct Reports: None
- Colleagues: First-line Supervisors, Process Engineers
- Key Cross-functional Relationships: Production, Lab & Testing, Inspection, Production Control, Cost Accounting, Tooling, Quality, Safety, Purchasing, Sales & Marketing
Job Type: Full-time