Information Technology Services, a service organization that provides technology support for the University of Iowa campus, is seeking an enthusiastic and talented software developer to design, develop, and support applications and services provided by our Administrative Information Systems (AIS) department. As a member of the AIS – Student Records team, you will build and support critical enterprise systems that are used throughout campus including: our student information system (MAUI), our student portal (MyUI), classroom/exam scheduling systems, degree audit system, and more.
We are seeking a software developer who will be comfortable developing full-stack web applications. You will be a member of a high-performing team that values critical thinking, communication, accountability, and collaboration with customers and peers. You will have the interest and ability to quickly learn new technologies and you will use those skills to build solutions that impact all of campus.
In a typical week, your responsibilities might include:
- Working with technical peers across work groups to design and implement new user interface standards for our student information system.
- Adding functionality to our student portal system to integrate student degree audit requirements with our multi-year academic planning tools.
- Developing new services to migrate our student advising appointment system from using the EWS Managed API to Microsoft Graph for our Office365 integration.
- Helping another campus developer identify the best API endpoints to use for applications that require student records data.
- Collaborating with LMS (learning management systems) developers to build tools that allow students to schedule course exams in campus testing centers.
- Building a system to track RSVPs for commencement programs, giving the Office of the Registrar more robust data to help plan, organize, and host University graduation ceremonies.
A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
- Extensive experience (typically 5-9 years’) developing large web applications with minimal technical direction.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with web-based frameworks, protocols, and tools.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with web service APIs.
- Relational database experience, including SQL and the use of persistence libraries and frameworks such as Hibernate.
- Knowledge of software development best practices (source code control, issue tracking, etc.) and technology trends.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and customer relations skills.
- Ability to apply critical thinking, technical problem solving, and analyzing system specifications.
- Familiarity with higher education student information systems and associated administrative / academic processes and systems.
- Understanding of security issues and defensive programming techniques.
- Demonstrated strong organizational and personal project managements skills.
- Experience with software and database modeling
- Ability to contribute to a successful team-oriented work environment
In order to be considered, applicants must upload a resume and a cover letter (under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check and credential verification. For questions or additional information, please contact Kim Kuebrich Yordi at email@example.com
There is an expectation that the person in this position will maintain effective, civil, and respectful working relationships with the University of Iowa campus community and uphold a high standard of cultural competency and respect for difference that represents our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.