Systems Engineer (I, II or III)
Is this a Civil Service Position?
Open to All Applicants
This position helps engineer, build, monitor, and troubleshoot of the City's IT infrastructure. This position requires an engineer that demonstrates superb technical competency, delivering mission critical infrastructure and ensuring the highest level of availability, performance and security. Qualified Engineers will have a background in IT, systems and/or network engineering, or engineering analysis.
Infrastructure Engineer I:
Infrastructure Engineer II and III:
- Builds, monitors, and troubleshoots infrastructure as it pertains to systems and/or network engineering
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Manage and monitor all installed systems and network
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and network availability
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Write and maintain custom scripts to increase efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
- Analyze system logs and identify potential issues with systems and network access. Isolate and resolve server and network related issues
- Evaluates and modifies system performance tuning
- Install and configure new hardware and software
- Maintains documentation of the configuration of the environment
- Maintains integrity of the network, server deployment, and security as it pertains to this role
- Participates in design sessions of infrastructure solutions, and assist with the integration of new technology into existing data center environments
- Provides 1st and 2nd level support and participates in after hours on-call rotation
- Liaise with vendors, City departments, and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Updates knowledge by participating in education opportunities, reading professional publications, and participating in professional organizations
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Minimum Requirements:Infrastructure Engineer 1:
- Maintains, monitors, supports, and documents the IT infrastructure including servers, storage, backup, security devices, voice and data networks, to ensure that SLAs, and other quality metrics, are being met
- Supports multiple systems or applications of medium to highly complex (complexity defined by size, technology used, and system feeds and interfaces), ensuring control, integrity, and accessibility
- Performs routine maintenance tasks for infrastructure systems such as patch management, upgrades, backups, and develops plans to ensure systems remain up to date and protected
- Develops enhanced production monitoring and additional capability such as scripted solutions and automation.
- Coordinates and works on multiple cross-functional base work initiatives and projects; participates in the formal reporting of project status
- Leads enterprise base work initiatives and projects; participates in the formal reporting of project status.
- Liaise with City departments and IT personnel to understand business need and technical requirements
- Integrates solutions with other applications and platforms based on engineering requirements
- Performs capacity workload modeling and availability analysis for a variety of platforms and environments. Recommend changes/enhancements for improved systems, availability, reliability, and performance
- Troubleshoot and remediate 1- 3 level incidents impacting the operation of the voice and data infrastructure, participates in after hours on-call rotation
- Recommends procedures and controls for problem resolution or creates temporary solutions until permanent solutions can be implemented
- Provides technical guidance, coaching/mentoring to team members
- Attaining and achieving position competencies in relation to role responsibilities
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or an equivalent combination of education and/or documented minimum of 3 year's work experience troubleshooting and repairing technology issues.
Solid work experience in the administration and performance tuning of Microsoft Active Directory, VMware administration, experience with monitoring systems and tools, solid scripting skills, and a solid knowledge of the OSI network and TCP/IP layers.
Infrastructure Engineer II:
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or an equivalent combination of education and/or documented minimum of 3-5 years of work experience troubleshooting and repairing technology issues.
Strong work experience in the administration and performance tuning of Microsoft Active Directory, VMware administration, network infrastructure, experience with monitoring systems and tools, and a solid knowledge of the OSI network and TCP/IP layers.
Infrastructure Engineer III:
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or an equivalent combination of education and/or documented minimum of 5 plus years of work experience troubleshooting and repairing technology issues.
Solid work experience in the administration and performance tuning of Microsoft Active Directory, VMware administration, network infrastructure, experience with monitoring systems and tools, solid scripting skills, and a solid knowledge of the OSI network and TCP/IP layers.
Must qualify for Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) system access and maintain eligibility for the duration of employment.
A valid Texas driver's license is required.
"The City may consider all related education and/or experience in determining an applicant's minimum qualifications and starting salary."
Additional Requirements:Infrastructure Engineer I:
Infrastructure Engineer II and III:
- Detailed technical knowledge of both hardware and software diagnostic tools.
- Ability to understand and use reference and technical manuals and repair tools.
- Knowledge of best practices around management, control, and monitoring of Microsoft's server infrastructure.
- Experience with physical and virtual servers, troubleshooting, and problem resolution.
- Ability to setup and configure network hardware.
- Familiarity with backup and recovery software and methodologies.
- Great at organizing, prioritizing and multitasking.
- Ability to work effectively on both individual and team assignments.
Essential Job Functions:
- Requires knowledge and experience with multiple infrastructure solutions
- Knowledge of current Windows Server, including local user/group management, security policy, task scheduler, event logs, performance monitoring, group policy, PowerShell remoting, file/share permissions
- Knowledge in Active Directory, DNS, OU design and management, AD Site design, Group Policy, AD security, AD certificate services, LDAP, Kerberos, Global Catalog, WINS, DHCP, DFS, FRS, AD troubleshooting, AD recovery and AD related Federated setup
- Proven skills performing management and troubleshooting of Microsoft Windows Server, Exchange, VMware and VDI, storage systems, backup and recovery, load balancers, firewalls, and data networking components
- Data networking knowledge with bridging, switching, routing, routing protocols, OSI Model, TCP/IP, and Optical Transport
- Relevant certification is preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, good judgment, high ethical standards, and a strong work ethic are a must
- Adheres to policies, procedures, and standards
- Must be able to interact effectively with employees at all levels of the organization.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is required to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. The employee must also balance, climb, crawl, crouch, walk, stand, kneel, stoop, sit, hear, crouch, feel, finger, grasp, handle, reach, pull, push, speak, see, and talk. Also, requires the ability to make rational decisions and perform repetitive motions.
Typical schedule will be Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Will be required to work weekends on occasion, as well as overtime as necessary by the department. Will be required to participate in on-call operations.
Will provide 1-3 level support and participates in after hours on-call rotation.
Posting Effective Date:
Closing Effective Date:
Open Until Filled
Optional Applicant Documents:
Certifications or Credentials
Required Applicant Documents:
Special Instructions to Applicants: