The utility systems manager shall supervise, evaluate, plan, and participate in the day-to-day operations and mechanical maintenance and repairs of all the Base Kodiak plants, POL facilities, and their respective Base-wide distribution systems.
- Supervise subordinates in separate plant locations
- Ensure all plants, including POL and fuel services, are operated and maintained in accordance with regulatory requirements, industry standards, and industry best management practices
- Create operating standards and best practices for managing day-to-day operations of internal and external workforces executing facility and utility systems
- Responsible for the daily operations of all locations for plant operations
- Provide daily feedback to the Project Manager on the status and problem areas in plant operations
- Interface with and coordinates with the COTR; represent plant operations during meetings with the Government
- Coordinate with the COTR on pre-scheduling and notification to all users of planned and required systems shut downs for maintenance/repair
- Provide announcement information well in advance for customer/user notifications
- Review results of daily testing of water/wastewater laboratory testing and recordings
- Ensure an adequate level of on-hand supplies for routine operations to maintain directed and approved EPA/OSHA requirements in all branch areas of operations
- Resolve internal technical and operational problems and with external activities to ensure operational efficiency and timely repair and maintenance
- Determine schedules, sequences, and assignments for work activities, based on work priority, quantity of equipment, and skill of personnel
- Evaluate and train plant staff. Ensure all personnel keep required licenses and training updates (state of the art) current
- Monitor tool and part inventories and condition of shops to ensure adequate working conditions
- Inspect equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects
- Research and recommend improvements and develop ideas and solutions for plant issues along with input from the plant staff
- Ensure safe work practices and work quality
- Maintain and evaluate Plant records and develops reports necessary to ensure plant preservation and reliability, as well as optimum performance and economy
- Ability to communicate ideas effectively with personnel at all levels
- Positive Attitude/Enthusiasm
- Diversity/interpersonal Skills
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
- Must currently hold at least one State of Alaska license or certification such as Boiler Plant Operator License, Water Treatment Operator License, Waste Water Treatment Operator License, Certificate in Industrial Waste Processing or Bulk Marine Fuel Certification.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience as a licensed industrial plant or fuel facilities operator. This experience should include the use, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of computers, system monitoring equipment and automated plant equipment.
- Minimum of three years’ experience supervising other workers who monitor, operate, maintain, and repair industrial plants or fuel facilities, as well as their systems and equipment.
- Proficiency in the use of standard software programs to keep accurate and detailed electronic and hard copy records, generate reports, and maintain plant and POL O & M Manuals.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of the regulations governing the plants and fuel facilities and their distribution systems.
- Knowledge of the repair, maintenance practices, and needs for fuel facilities or plants and distribution systems.
- Knowledge of the safety hazards and necessary safety precautions connected with plant operation.
- The ability to establish standard plant operating and safety procedures.
- Must possess strong knowledge of engineering operations (e.g., facilities, utilities, maintenance, and design). Computer skills using personal computers, Windows-based operating system; and Microsoft Office Suite Professional Edition is required
- Must be able to respond to call for work outside of normal working hours
- Must be able to communicate clearly by radio
- Must be task oriented, self-motivated, with the ability to multitask, and work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Confined Space Competent
- Two (2) or more years training/experience as a licensed plant operator gained at a chemical plant; petroleum refinery; water and/or wastewater plant; heating plant; power plant; major facility (stationary engineer); nuclear plant or similar facility to include the use, maintenance, troubleshooting and/or repair of computers and automated plant equipment
- Two (2) or more years training in PLC-based controls
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for bending, stooping, sitting, walking or standing for prolonged periods of time; carry materials and tools to work site up to 50 lbs. regularly and team lift 50 or more lbs. Must meet the requirements of an annual physical that will include pulmonary function testing and will require the occasional use of a respirator. Must be able to work in tight/confined spaces and be familiar with proper personal protective equipment.
Work Environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be borne by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Environments will include a variety of working conditions. Work environments include, but are not limited to, multiple types of housing units, industrial facilities such as, wastewater treatment plants and sewage lift stations, performing work outside in the field.
- Must be able to complete criminal record background check
- Must be able to drive a company vehicle and be insured
- Must be able to obtain and maintain security clearance necessary
- Must comply with all company policies
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- industrial plant or fuels facilities operator: 10 years (Required)
- State of AK Boiler Plant Operator (Required)
- State of AK Industrial Waste Processing (Required)
- State of AK Bulk Marine Fuel (Required)
- State of AK Water Treatment Operator (Required)
- State of AK Wastewater Treatment Operator (Required)
- Do you have proficiency in the use of standard software programs to keep accurate and detailed electronic and hard copy records, generate reports, and maintain plant and POL O & M Manuals?