Senior Hydrogen Systems Engineer (China market focus)
Shell is committed to the global energy transition and to lowering the carbon intensity of the world’s mobility and power generation systems. Recently Shell tied bonuses of top executives to meeting near-term carbon emissions reduction goals. In recognition of this leading stance in environmental responsibility, Shell CEO, Ben van Beurden, was recently elected as the World’s most reputable corporate leader by the Reputation Institute (www.forbes.com). Shell is leveraging global infrastructure currently in place, such as more than 45,000 public fueling stations, marine bunkering facilities, gas import/export, and pipelines which can be used to accelerate low or zero emissions technologies. At our public fueling stations, Shell is committed to offering low and/or zero carbon intensity fueling options (EV charging, biofuels, renewable natural gas, and hydrogen) as alternatives to gasoline and diesel. Hydrogen, as a fuel for fuel cell powered EV’s, plays a key role for Shell in delivering zero emissions mobility to individual customers and businesses globally. For more information about Shell Hydrogen, or Shell New Energies please visit their websites: www.shell.com/hydrogen & www.shell.com/newenergies. Shell wants to play a key part in the necessary change to the energy system - Will you join our team to make this happen?
The Senior Hydrogen Systems Engineer position is a multidisciplinary role in an exciting new industry that seeks to bring zero emissions mobility to all sectors of global transportation. While based in Boston, you will be responsible for developing new Hydrogen production and refueling product offerings and localizing already-developed products in the China markets. Segments include light duty, heavy duty, marine, and off-road vehicle applications, and products are developed by adapting commercially available technologies and products to perform in fit-for-purpose systems. These new products will directly support developing business opportunities, making Shell New Energies the partner of choice in China’s expanding Hydrogen economy. To accomplish this, you will visit and evaluate suppliers both in China and globally, leverage both the existing and development of new in-house analysis and other tools and engage the hydrogen mobility industry to influence available product lines towards Shell’s requirements. You will focus on driving cost out of deployed systems and lowering operating expenses by assisting the reliability growth manager to collect and interpret data from Shell’s global refueling network. In addition to systems-level design and product management, you will be a senior contributor to testing and developing new strategic products such as cryogenic hydrogen fluid management equipment, advanced process controls, and new sensing systems for improved safety and reliability, to name a few.
You will be part of the Hydrogen Product and Technology Development team, reporting to the Global Hydrogen Product Manager. While you will have a core role and responsibility, all team members help when necessary with other tasks such as development of in-house models and system analyses, supporting operations and troubleshooting, publishing results at conferences, and filing patents. We are a high performing, and collaborative team, with global exposure to the developing hydrogen mobility and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle markets.
- Localize our global products for the Chinese market
- Localize our Boston-based skillset for a Chinese market and help develop these skillsets in a local team
- Provide cost effective, fit-for-purpose site and system designs using commercially available sub-systems/components to enable business opportunities
- Support operations and reliability growth management by working with appropriate development partners to produce new components/systems which meet business and technical goals
- Support global Hydrogen IP strategy by publishing, presenting at conferences, filing patents
- Use in-house tools and simulations to model system performance and, where necessary, to build new capabilities for use by the Hydrogen team
- Perform should-cost analyses and assist supply chain development to reduce cost, and influence product offerings
- Lead product developments where appropriate to deliver differentiated customer experiences, and step-change improvement in cost, capability, and performance
- Native Mandarin speaker
- BS or BEng degree required in Engineering or related program
- The following experience is an asset:
- Business or educational experience in China
- 10+ years of diverse work experience with technical, commercial, and business aspects
- Commercializing novel technology, or bringing new products to market
- Understanding of systems engineering methodologies
- Some experience deploying, troubleshooting, or conducting other technical fieldwork on industrial systems
- Proficiency in modeling and software languages such as MATLAB, Python, Java
- Articulate, with good written and presentation skills
- Assertive, high energy, and defaulting to action
- Quick thinker with excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to travel up to 50%
- Team player
We invest in maintaining an inclusive, fun, and close-knit culture. We provide generous training and development opportunities for employees. Every day we work to provide an environment where all employees feel valued and included, able to nurture their talent as individuals, working within a collaborative team.
This position is assigned to Shell Hydrogen through Cenergy International Systems (CIS). Cenergy is a leading provider of expert workforce solutions to the oil and gas industry, with offices around the world including the United States, Canada, Netherlands, Scotland and Australia.
CIS offers a generous compensation, benefits and vacation package. This role is based in a vibrant office environment located in the Northwest corner of MIT’s campus, close to Kendall Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Please apply directly to the position at http://shelltechworks.mytribehr.com/careers by submitting a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 10 years (Preferred)