C.A.P. Government, Inc (CAP) is looking for the immediate hire of an Urban Planner. The candidate will be self-motivated, customer-service oriented and dedicated individual with an exceptional work ethic who has demonstrated abilities in handling multiple projects to join our CAP team. Candidate must have excellent communications skills (both oral and written), an ability to accurately read and interpret site and development plans, knowledge of Florida planning and urban/design planning principles, including a basic understanding of placemaking and community design (building, street, and public space types plus associated principles) and the demonstrated ability to apply this knowledge within the development review process, development review project management, community engagement and code compliance.
Individual must be a self-starter who can demonstrate initiative and work independently with limited supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews building and site plans and plats; evaluates proposals to determine cost-benefit to City; researches records.
- Assists in the preparation, review, implementation and revision of the Comprehensive Plan and other applicable legislation.
- Performs necessary research and analysis for special projects for Long Range Planning.
- Reviews requests for property development and prepares recommendations for variance and rezoning requests, conditional use permits, site plans and subdivision plans and plats.
- Prepares staff recommendations and makes formal presentations as assigned.
- Coordinates and participates in the review and approval of building permit applications to ensure compliance with the City's Unified Land Development Code and Comprehensive Plan.
- Conducts field inspections, as required.
- Assists in the maintenance of the City's data base for such information as population, land use, housing and other statistics used for planning purposes.
- Assists in the maintenance of the City's Unified Land Development Code.
- Assists the public, developers, elected officials and other City departments in interpreting and applying the City's Unified Land Development Code, as well as other applicable standards and regulations.
- Acts as liaison with other departments and outside agencies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and accepted practices of public planning and the implementation of zoning and land development regulations.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret zoning regulations.
- Knowledge of methods of collection and analysis of planning data and the preparation of planning reports and studies.
- Skilled in customer service, including the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both in person and in writing.
- Ability to conduct field inspections to determine facts through investigations.
- Ability to read and interpret building and development plans, specifications and legal documents.
- Ability to identify deviations from the requirements of the regulations.
- Ability to present concise, detailed oral and written administrative reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials and the public.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- Bachelor of Science in in urban planning, city planning, urban design, architecture, or a closely related field and a minimum of 5 years of full-time planning experience (preferably municipal planning experience); or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A Master’s Degree in urban planning, city planning, urban design or a closely related field and AICP certification, is a plus!
- Commensurate with experience and licensure
We offer competitive compensation packages; medical, dental, and vision coverage; life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance; 401(k); employee referral; educational reimbursement; and more.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Drug Free Workplace / Veterans
Our firm is committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Development Assistance
- Referral Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Insurance