Vice President for Research
Information Systems / Technology, Research / Scientific
Provides engineering support for experimental testing for the Institute for Critical Technologies and Applied Sciences (ICTAS) and affiliated research groups. Incumbent works with other researchers and graduate students to develop their conceptual idea or objective into a physical creation. This person will be responsible for the design and fabrication of high energy test structures, devices used for certification of protective equipment and create other apparatus as needed by affiliated research groups. Performs stress and failure analysis of high energy mechanical test fixtures to ensure proper performance and safety.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or related field or related industry experience.
- Ability to calculate mechanical stresses/vibration/fatigue
- Experience designing and fabricating high energy test structures
- Experience operating machine shop equipment (mill, lathe, welder, etc.)
- Ability to use drafting software and create buildable shop prints
- Ability to wire and troubleshoot AC and DC circuits
- Ability to handle multitask assignments, work independently, and communicate effectively with others
- MS in engineering or related field
Familiarity working with a range of materials (various carbon and stainless steels, various aluminum alloys, plastics, thermosetting resins, composites)
- Experience with various sensors (accelerometers, pressure sensors, potentiometers, load cells) and integrating them effectively into a mechanism
- Experience programming CNC machining equipment
- Ability to supervise a small machine shop
- Experience working with biological specimens and biohazardous tissue
Restricted, Part-time, Wage Appointment
Commensurate with experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
June 15, 2020