DiGioia Gray is searching for a Substation P&C Designer in our Roanoke, VA and Charlotte, NC offices. This experienced designer will be responsible for the protection and control design of high voltage substation projects through 500kv.
- Design and execution of high-voltage substations projects in the 34.5kV – 500kV range with an emphasis on project safety, cost, quality, and reliability
- Generate designs and detailed engineering deliverables working under the supervision of lead engineer
- Complete basic engineering calculations related to engineering deliverables
- Develop one & three line diagrams; schematics and wiring diagrams; control and relay panel layout and specifications; control and relay panel and equipment wiring diagrams; SCADA system and communications interfaces including RTUs, HMIs and IEDs; auxiliary system design including batteries and chargers
- Ability to perform other engineering calculations such as DC battery & charger sizing calculations, voltage drop calculations etc.
- Follow specific instructions of supervisor or engineers to perform the more complex design assignments requiring application of standard design principles and practices
- Ability to review and coordinate vendor submittals to ensure compliance with design parameters
- Ability to interpret engineering calculations and studies and apply same to design requirements
- Ability to oversee project production efforts and apply project schedules to complete tasks in a timely manner and within project budget
- Knowledge in substation construction and/or commissioning techniques and industry standards
- Travel to job sites for job assessment and data gathering as needed. Return to the office with sufficient field notes to complete project design
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to review project documents and recommend value engineering ideas
- Knowledge and ability to utilize computer-aided drafting including AutoCAD & MicroStation.
- Thorough knowledge of the following codes: National Electrical Safety Code (NESC), National Electrical Code (NEC) and Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Required: Associates degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
Required: 5 to 10 years of relevant substation or general electrical T&D designing experience.
Preferred: Experience in the energy industry or a consulting services environment.
Why Choose DiGioia Gray?
DiGioia Gray offers excellent compensation and benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k) plan with matching contributions, Life, Short and Long-Term Disability, Paid Time Off, and Paid Holidays are offered with this position.
DiGioia Gray was founded by Anthony M. DiGioia Jr. and Richard (Dick) E. Gray, who are widely regarded as the “go-to” experts in the industry through decades of providing innovative project solutions on time and within budget.
DiGioia Gray’s founding principles emphasize quality work, client service, reliability, respect and integrity -- values that are central to the company’s business philosophy. These values, along with the objective to meet schedules and commitments and an ability to provide innovative solutions to the most difficult challenges, have earned DiGioia Gray a reputation for excellence.
The commitment to these values has enabled DiGioia Gray to win numerous awards, including ASCE Pittsburgh Section’s “Employer of the Year” Award.
DiGioia Gray provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, DiGioia Gray complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
DiGioia Gray expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of DiGioia Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Substation Design: 1 year (Preferred)
- MicroStation: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location