Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
The Systems Engineering Solutions Strategic Business Unit provides advanced systems engineering and technology applications for intelligence and information enterprises. These applications and solutions deliver enterprise data management, data analytics, modeling and simulation, and technology assessment capabilities that are used to create products that offer actionable information in support of warfighters and decision makers.
Ball Aerospace’s Albuquerque, New Mexico office is a key provider of science and technology services to the Air Force Research Laboratory and other government research and development organizations. Our multi-discipline staff provides a broad range of scientific and engineering services, including: technology development; diagnostic development; highly-controlled laboratory measurements; field experiments and demonstrations; technology assessments; modeling and simulations; and analyses. We are seeking additional qualified professionals to join our science and technology-oriented organization.
Click here to learn more about Ball Aerospace in Albuquerque, NM.
What you’ll do:
What you’ll need:
- Research design and development of high-energy solid-state laser systems.
- Conduct laser design trade studies using existing laser design codes under the direction of senior staff.
- Design and conduct well thought out laser hardware experiments under the direction of senior staff to characterize and define the design trade-space.
- Participate in technical discussions with the group on a regular basis.
- Apply a wide range of technical principles, theories and concepts from disciplines associated with thermal, laser and optical sciences.
- Interface with laser modeling and laser hardware build team on a regular basis.
- Participate in small teams of co-workers and technicians over the life of a project to determine and develop creative approaches or solutions to problems.
- Prepare high quality briefings and technical reports summarizing work to be reviewed and assessed for quality by senior level program staff
- Follow established facility, safety and security procedures.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 2 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- DoD Top Secret clearance preferred.
- Intermediate knowledge of laser physics and optical sciences.
- Intermediate capability with optical design codes.
- Demonstrated experience working in a research and development setting in the physical sciences and/or engineering.
- Experience in the design and development of laser hardware.
- Strong mathematical and physical science education, excellent organization skills, strong attention to detail, and excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to interface with a multi-disciplinary modeling and hardware development team.
Future Clearance Required:
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
HIRING SALARY RANGE:
$84,000 - $104,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.