Kyocera has an opening for a Materials Engineer, specializing in Crystal Growth. This Engineer will be responsible for improving crystal growth processes, including raw material preparation, apparatus and component optimization, process optimization, post-growth processing, for transitioning processes from R&D into manufacturing, and for ramping up manufacturing capacity.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
The Materials Engineer will both perform hands-on work and supervise technicians in trouble-shooting process and equipment issues; designing and implementing equipment modifications; writing process documentation; and performing process improvement, process optimization, and material analysis. This position involves the setup of new production systems in clean-room and non-clean-room environments, development and optimization of processes on these systems, and establishing sustainability in these systems. This position will also provide technical support for Environmental Health and Safety personnel.
(Tasks listed are intended to be descriptive and not restrictive. An employee in this position may perform any of the tasks listed; however, these examples do not include all the tasks which an employee may be expected to perform.)
- 4+ years experience in crystal growth. Experience with material processing, chemical processing, and/or semiconductor processing is highly desirable. More extensive experience and Supervisory experience is desirable but not required.
- 3+ years experience in industry is highly desirable.
- B.S degree in Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics, or a closely-related field. M.S. or Ph.D. degree preferred.
- Hands-on mechanical and analytical experience. Experience with X-ray diffraction, optical microscopy, and related crystal characterization techniques is highly desirable.
- Experience with data analysis, including hypothesis testing, regression, and DOE. Experience with big data analysis desirable.
- Experience with handling of hazardous chemicals and gases is desirable.
- Knowledge of semiconductor and/or ceramic material processing and properties is desirable.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and follow through on process improvement procedures.
- Knowledge of FMEA, Lean and Six Sigma Principles is desirable but not required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Excel.
- Must pass background check and drug screen.
- Ability to communicate clearly in English.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Together with crystal growth team, leads and coordinates design, improvement, installation, and commissioning of new processes and tools for crystal growth and processing of semiconductor-related materials.
- Oversees the initiation, operation, and upgrading of manufacturing processes to maximize productivity while maintaining high-quality product requirements.
- Takes ownership of projects and manages results from cradle to grave with guidance from Engineering Manager. Hands-on involvement operating chemical and mechanical process equipment is expected and required.
- Performs evaluations and documents results related to semiconductor wafer production.
- Works directly with, and occasionally trains, manufacturing employees (operators and technicians) on the production floor.
- Ensures compliance with company and governmental safety rules and regulations in connection with EH&S personnel.
- Performs statistical analysis; maintains statistical data and reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Kyocera International, Inc. values diversity in its workforce, and is proud to be an AAP/EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Kyocera International, Inc.’s Human Resources team directly.
Kyocera International, Inc. is a leading manufacturer of high tech ceramic which is used in a variety of industries including aerospace, automotive, industrial applications, and semiconductor processing. We have an excellent benefit package which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Pension and 401(k) with company match.
This position may require exposure to information subject to US Export Control regulations, i.e.: the International Traffic and Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be US persons within the meaning of US regulations.
Material, chemical and/or semiconductor processing
Bachelor of Science or better in Material Science or related field
PhD or better in Material Science or related field