The NYC Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) enriches the environment and protects public health for all New Yorkers by providing 1.1 billion gallons of high quality drinking water, managing wastewater and stormwater, and reducing air, noise, and hazardous materials pollution. DEP is the largest combined municipal water and wastewater utility in the country, with nearly 6,000 employees. DEP's water supply system is comprised of 19 reservoirs and 3 controlled lakes throughout the system’s 2,000 square mile watershed that extends 125 miles north and west of the City.
New York City has approximately 140,000 catch basins, 114,000 hydrants, 90,000 valves, 14 gatehouses, 3 reservoirs, 68 groundwater wells, a 100 million gallon underground storage tank and 7,000 miles each of both sanitary sewers and water mains. The responsibility of maintaining these vast networks falls under the Department of Environmental Protection’s Bureau of Water and Sewer Operations (BWSO).
The division of Connections and Permitting within the Bureau of Water & Sewer Operations (BWSO) seeks to hire one Assistant Environmental Engineer for the Manhattan Local Borough Office. Under direct supervision, with little latitude for independent judgment, the selected candidate will perform engineering work of moderate difficulty and responsibility, but will not be limited to the following:
- Review SD1&2 Forms, process and review applications for House Connection Permits and Water connection Permits.
- Provide general information to inquiring public, either by telephone or in person for Sewer and Water. Ensure the licensed plumbers or contractors fully conform to the current standards and specifications.
- Engages in studies, investigation or examinations related to the engineering functions or activities of the department, including the connection & Permitting. Provide guidance on any observed problems.
- Maintains office records of drawings, plans, maps, surveys and inspection data.
- Provide all necessary information and statistics in the preparation of metrics reports. Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly metrics reports, memos and correspondence as required.
POSITION IS AVAILABLE AT MANHATTAN LOCAL BOROUGH OFFICE
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree in environmental, chemical, mechanical, petroleum, aeronautical, or materials engineering from an accredited college or university and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in environmental engineering work; or
2. A baccalaureate degree in environmental, chemical, mechanical, petroleum, aeronautical, or materials
engineering from an accredited college and master’s degree in environmental engineering from an accredited college.
A master's degree in environmental engineering from an accredited college can only be used to substitute for one year of full-time satisfactory work experience in environmental engineering.
¿ Strong writing skills, effective interpersonal skills, familiarity and/or experience with computers/software, and ability to work well with minimal supervision.
¿ Excellent communication skills, ability to maintain professional demeanor when interacting with Professional Engineer, licensed plumbers and other City Agencies.
Appointments are subject to OMB approval.
For additional information about DEP, visit www.nyc.gov/dep
DEP is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to the diversity of our organization and workforce. Your voluntary response to the NYCAPS on-line application section for referral information will assist us tremendously in our ability to track the success of our outreach and recruitment efforts. Please be sure to indicate your source of referral to this job.
This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program and also meet the education and experience requirements as listed in the job posting notice. Please indicate on your resume or cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program. This position is also open to non 55-a Program candidates who meet the education and experience requirements as listed in the job posting notice.
Click the "Apply Now" button.
New York City Residency is not required for this position