Washburn University is looking for a forward-thinking Director of Systems and Networking Services. We are seeking an exceptionally driven and passionate individual to lead our Systems and Network Services. Specifically, you will be the technical lead overseeing all the technical infrastructure. Your work will directly contribute to the success of Information Technology Services (ITS) and Washburn University.
To apply or view entire posting please visit https://washburn.peopleadmin.com/postings/3282
For earliest consideration apply by April 27, 2021
The Director of Systems and Networking Services is accountable for the network and systems responsible for the connection, aggregation, and connectivity of devices and systems in the network. The Director is an advanced technical role managing the technical personnel in the Systems and Network Services unit.
- As the team leader and motivator, the Director of Systems and Networking Services will maintain a healthy, fair, and inclusive work environment by promoting diversity, exercising teamwork, and collaboration.
- Will actively promote a professional workplace culture of mutual respect and collegiality for all members of the institution and work to build positive and cooperative relationships with staff, encouraging them to work toward individual and departmental goals.
- The Director of Systems and Networking Services evaluates the performance and effectiveness of assigned staff and provides feedback and professional development opportunities. Supervise, support, and manage the team to maximize employee performance and facilitate professional growth. Provide direct reports the guidance and support needed to achieve their career path and leadership growth objectives.
- The Director is responsible for managing resources to design, implement, configure, support, and maintain all aspects of the network infrastructure for health and performance. Accountable for the maintenance and scalability of the entire network infrastructure on a 24/7 basis to ensure key performance objectives are met.
- Responsible for effectively communicating ITS's goals and direction to the Systems and Networking Services team to ensure resource alignment with the entire department and network vision.
- The Director owns all network issues and is responsible for seeing them through to resolution. Ensures the correct level of urgency and severity is communicated to the Chief Information Officer, internal teams, and vendor resources.
- Works closely with vendors to strategically drive the ITS and organization’s direction. Supports processes alignment with the organization’s network vision and strategy. Find new vendors as needed.
- Oversees the team's technical training and confirms all personnel are qualified to perform their respective duties. Manages a training program that raises the Systems and Network Services team's baseline knowledge and provides deep technical knowledge for subject matter experts.
- Interfaces with and maintains open communication with internal leadership stakeholders to confirm the unit provides excellent service and receives the same level of support in return.
- Identifies and communicates automation opportunities to remove pain points related to repetitious operational tasks, improved network monitoring tools, configuration generation and standardization, and new circuit and peer implementations.
- The Director is also responsible for gathering and defining requirements for new products leveraging our networks, including technical documentation for all relevant processes and technologies, and oversees the implementation, operation, and management of network storage and data backup.
- Performs additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline (BSEE, Computer Science or related field) or equivalent experience required.
- Five years of leadership experience in a network operations environment.
- Three years of experience managing network teams.
- Must be proficient in current server operating systems (Windows, Linux, and VMware), structure, and best practices; and various transport technologies, including switches, routers, and firewalls.
PREFERRED: Master’s degree (MSEE or MBA) or equivalent experience.
Proven experience in designing, documenting, and writing deliverable plans for network implementations and supporting processes.
Visio diagramming and network documentation knowledge.
To view the entire posting and to submit resume, please visit https://washburn.peopleadmin.com/postings/3282
For earliest consideration apply by April 27, 2021
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE. Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $90,000.00 per year
- How many years of experience managing network teams do you have?
- Leadership Experience: 5 years (Required)