About the role
Stelco is seeking a 4th Class Operating Stationary Engineer at its Lake Erie facility in Nanticoke Ontario, Canada.
Safety is the Core Value of Stelco and the individual will make Safety the #1 priority in the execution of all work activities, including monitoring contractor/vendor safety in support of work efforts.
- Operate and maintain low and high pressure steam systems;
- Operate and maintain environmental control equipment;
- Operate equipment to support various production units including turbines, pumps, compressors, turbo alternators, cooling towers, water treatment systems, gas systems, and HVAC equipment;
- Perform chemical analysis on process water and adjust systems to maintain operations, including the handling of reagents, chemicals, and chemical injection equipment;
- Operate and maintain gas testing equipment and participate in the issuance of Confined Space Entry Permits;
- Provide isolation, lockouts, clearances and safe work permits on Utility systems and process equipment;
- Assist in the development of energy control procedures and safe work practices;
- Assist with maintenance planning and repair of equipment;
- Operate in accordance with all applicable procedures, policies, and regulations.
- 4th Class Operating Engineer Certificate;
- 2+ years of experience in an industrial environment;
Job Skills and Knowledge
- Temperature Tolerance: The ability to withstand extreme temperatures;
- Reaction Time: The ability to quickly respond to process upsets;
- Static Strength: The ability to exert significant muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects;
- Trunk Strength: The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time, including bending and stooping;
- Dynamic Strength: The ability to exert muscle force at intervals throughout a work shift. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue;
- Agility: The ability to negotiate different areas of the plant, including climbing stairs and ladders, and moving around barriers;
- Manual Dexterity: The ability to quickly move and react.
- The job is within a heavy industrial environment and you may be required to work within various areas of the facility. Depending on the area you work in, the environmental conditions may be hot, cold, dirty, dusty, wet or noisy;
- Safety is our highest priority, and safety procedures and guidelines must be adhered to at all times. This includes wearing personal protective equipment, such as a hard hat, eye protection, hearing protection, respirators, flame retardant clothing and safety shoes with metatarsal protection at all times during a work shift;
- Employees work in a unionized, highly industrial setting;
- Our Lake Erie facility operates 24 hours per day, 365 days a year with varying hours of work including 8 and12 hour rotating shifts;
- This means that you may be required to work different days of the week each time you rotate shifts. In other words, you may be required to work Saturdays, Sundays and holidays;
- The position requires you to work overtime as needed;
- Punctuality and attendance are extremely important to the success of the operations in general as well as contributing to an overall positive team environment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Stelco is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Applicants should advise Human Resources if they require any type of accommodation during the recruitment process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- 4th Class Power Engineer Certificate (required)
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place