Bowery Farming is seeking an Operations Supervisor who will oversee aspects of our daily growing operations in our indoor farms. Reporting to the Site Lead, you will be responsible for leading, developing, and engaging a team and one of your main focuses will be motivating, mentoring, and coaching your team to become the best operators they can be. To achieve this, Operations Supervisors are problem solvers who are able to Set Big Bold Goals, interpret data, and deliver business results. You will operate in a multidisciplinary environment with engineers, computer scientists, agricultural scientists, retail and other functions, and your work will meaningfully impact the evolution of the indoor agriculture industry. This role will be based at Bowery Farming’s state-of-the-art modern farming facilities in Kearny, NJ.
What You’ll Do at Bowery
- Supervise an Operations team to ensure that the farm stays on schedule, from seeding to harvest to packaging to cleaning, & delivery
- Onboard and train new hires
- Maintain overall responsibility for the performance of the shift, including safety, quality, cost, productivity, and delivery
- Implement all SOPs and drive compliance with crop plans in partnership with the Senior Grower
- Plan shift and work schedules for all production staff on shift to ensure high efficiency & quality
- Maintain production areas to ensure compliance with company quality, sanitation and Food Safety standards
- Identify and implement methods and practices to achieve operational improvements in efficiency, quality, delivery, and operating profits
- Collect & analyze data in order to proactively identify production issues or develop plans to resolve existing issues
- Provide safe working environment by maintaining quality equipment and enforcing adherence to developed work practices
- Ensure employees have the right tools, knowledge and equipment required to do their jobs effectively and safely
- Promote a culture of world class performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Provide coaching, teaching, and mentorship to a diverse and engaged team
- Influence and drive improvements to the Bowery Farming production software system
- Ensure all required KPI’s are met regarding facilities goals on safety, production, quality, and costs.
- Collaborate with leaders across Bowery to identify and understand operational opportunities for improvement
What You Have
- Bachelors degree in STEM or business management, or 3+ years of experience in a leadership role in a related field
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in manufacturing operations or engineering role with demonstrated ability to lead change
- Knowledge of warehouse management systems
- Lean & Six Sigma process improvement techniques knowledge
- Experience managing an OSHA compliance program
- Skills driving continuous improvement initiatives & culture
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and superior management skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Detail & process orientation
- Experience with farming and growing operations, and food safety and production is a plus
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Stop & Shop stores in the Tri-state area; Brooklyn Fare, Westside Market and Foragers Market in NYC; and online through Peapod, AmazonFresh and Jet.com. Additionally, Bowery is featured at Sweetgreen, and on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised $122.5M from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.