SARA is a world-class Research and Development enterprise, with a charter to invent advanced technologies and bring them to market. As innovators in our industry, we operate in small creative teams providing opportunities for impactful contributions in new fields and emerging technologies. We have expertise in electromagnetic and acoustic sensors and detection systems; directed energy technologies; automated test data management signal processing; small robotics; and renewable and alternative energy generation.
SARA is headquartered in Cypress, CA with engineering offices and labs in San Juan Capistrano, CA, Colorado Springs, CO, Waterbury, CT, and Tyler, TX.
SARA, Inc. High Power Electromagnetics Division (HPEM) is looking for a remarkably talented, motivated, and imaginative Research Engineer to support research and development activities and transition innovative technologies to our customer base in Colorado Springs, CO. The candidate must be a high-performing scientist or engineer with substantial technical pedigree in the areas of Applied Research, Pulsed Power, EMP, Power Systems, and Directed Energy.
This opportunity is with our High-Power Electromagnetics (HPEM) Division’s Applied Physics team. It will be filled by an exceptional engineer with experience and interest in any combination of the following areas:
- Power Systems (studies, transient simulation, protection system design and testing, substation and switchgear)
- High Voltage Engineering (Switches, transient high current and voltage, electromagnetics theory and design)
- Electrical Engineering (analog or digital circuit design, testing, system integration)
- Signal Processing (signals analysis methods, filter design, DSP)
- Write detailed technical reports and maintain comprehensive project documentation
- Develop specifications and design specialized tests
- Write concise technical reports and deliver technical briefings
- Fill a key role in a small engineering team
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Excellent decision-making and leadership capabilities.
- Conflict resolution experience
- Time management and organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills
- US CITIZENSHIP required for security clearance purposes
- Master’s degree in engineering, math, or physics and 2+ years of experience in related engineering fields.
- Experience working cooperatively in team environments.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to learn new skills and take new responsibilities.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain and TS security clearance.
- 4+ years’ experience (excluding education), with an MS or PhD and relevant research, in Power Systems, Pulsed Power, EMP, Electromagnetic Compatibility and/or Compliance, Signal Processing, High Voltage (1s to 100s of kilovolts), and/or Digital and Analog Controls.
- Experience using data acquisition equipment including multimeters, oscilloscopes, network analyzers, voltage probes, current probes, and spectrum analyzers.
- Experience with relevant software such as MATLAB, Simulink, Python, Mathcad, Dip Trace, Altium, SPICE, or EMTP.
- Candidate has an active DoD TS or DoE Q clearance.
Salaries at SARA are competitive and proportionate to the experience, qualifications and unique talent of our team members. Additionally, SARA’s compensation package includes:
- Performance-based bonuses
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work hours
- Employee stock ownership!
SARA, Inc. is an EEOC/Title VII/ADA compliant federally contracted employer. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. Also, as a federal contractor, SARA must abide by the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and maintains a drug-free workplace regardless of local and state allowance.
U.S. citizenship is required for most positions.