The Plant/Process Engineer will conduct research
to develop new manufacturing processes, analyze operating procedures, equipment
, and machinery functions, and make recommendations for reducing processing time and
cost. The engineer works with equipment for safe storage and transportation of
chemical solids, liquids, and gases, as well as design control systems for chemical
plants. Will also perform tests and take measurements in order to determine the most
efficient production methods and develop instrumentation and control systems that will
safely and economically produce the highest quality product.
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY: Performs duties with only general direction and defined
latitude for independent judgment within established guidelines and policies.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Some work is performed outdoors in all kinds of weather
conditions. Other work is performed indoors at the production facilities. Work performed
in this job will place the employee at risk of exposure to chemical hazards.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Participate with the operations manager to determine the most effective arrangement
of operations, such as mixing, crushing, material transfer, distillation, and drying.
2. Prepare estimates of production costs and production progress reports for
3. Perform tests throughout stages of production to determine the degree of control
over variables, including temperature, density, specific gravity, and pressure.
4. Conduct research to develop new and improved chemical manufacturing
5. Periodically inspect facilities and advise as to preventative maintenance
6. Analyze charts, work orders, historical data, maintenance, and production
schedules in order to meet customer requirements and set daily/monthly
preventative maintenance activities
7. Confer with managers/supervisors to coordinate daily maintenance activities
throughout the operation
8. Order/Inspect materials, parts, and equipment to detect defects or malfunctions.
Determine the best problem-solving solution
9. Direct, review, and approve design changes to equipment or the facility
1. 3-5 years of plant experience in an industrial or chemical manufacturing setting.
2. Must have proven troubleshooting skills in a process manufacturing environment.
3. Liquid handling and solids handling experiences desired.
4. Must have a thorough knowledge of work hazards, safety procedures, and plant
5. Proven ability to determine capital expenditure needs of a plant and spec out
equipment as defined by capital expenditure needs, coordinate installation, and
operations of such.
6. Previous direct interaction with ISO, SCDHEC, OSHA, FDA agencies is a plus.
7. Must be capable of critical thinking and a proven problem solver.
8. Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances
and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This
includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production
techniques, and disposal methods.
Physical strength and ability to perform moderate manual labor under uncomfortable
conditions and in all types of weather, as necessary. Ability to work in hot environments.
Key Job Competencies
1. Must have excellent communications skills to direct employees, coordinate
with other departments and answer inquiries.
2. Ability to take initiative and apply considerable ingenuity and practical
knowledge to interpret and resolve new, unusual, or particularly troublesome
3. Reading ability to read and interpret technical journals, manuals, and other
materials pertaining to facility maintenance, equipment, systems, and repair.
4. Ability to lead, take charge, offer direction, opinions, and accept feedback.
5. Ability to manage and lead others in cross-functional environments.
6. Reliable, responsible, and personally accountable for accomplishing results.
7. Ability to build a team spirit on a number of levels, and a positive work
8. Excellent knowledge of systems and their application in a maintenance setting.
9. Organization, communication, and project organization computer skills
10. Strong human relations skills, including mentoring, coaching & developing staff
- The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as
necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of
knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. It
should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements.
Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other
functional areas to cover absences or provide relief, to equalize peak work
periods, or otherwise to balance the workload.
- Additional requirements include: Caliper Assessment and Critical
- Following an offer of employment, and prior to starting work, individuals
must have a pre-employment physical examination by a physician
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $85,000.00 - $110,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Orangeburg, SC 29115: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Do you require sponsorship to work in the United States?
Work Location: One location