$12 - $13 an hour
Comfort Suites Hilton Head Island Area is hiring a Maintenance Technician to join our team! If you have prior experience and want to work in the hospitality field, we would like to speak with you about this exciting opportunity! Apply today for consideration.
Responsible for maintaining the general condition of the property with regards to all aspects of basic electrical, carpentry, plumbing, mechanical, and painting work. Complete maintenance request work orders from all departments on a timely basis. Participate in the preventive maintenance program for all building equipment and rooms. Complete other special projects assigned periodically by management.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility in a safe and satisfactory manner, and the individual must be punctual and have a good attendance record, and have reliable means of transportation to work. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All guest corridors, guest rooms, elevators, stairwells and service areas, linen closets, staff restrooms, vending areas, and storage closets.
Job involves working:
- under variable temperature conditions (or extreme heat or cold).
- under variable noise levels.
- around fumes and/or odor hazards.
- around dust and/or mite hazards.
- around chemicals
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist guests in a sincere and courteous manner, whenever possible going the extra mile and doing whatever it takes to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Inspect all operating systems and components of the hotel to ensure they are operating properly, efficiently and safely.
- Promptly respond to front desk reports of guest problems or concerns and inform the front desk when action is complete.
- Perform preventive maintenance, repairs, or makes recommendation for repairs of all mechanical/electrical, HVAC, refrigeration, and plumbing systems, all building components and furniture, fixtures, and equipment. Advise management if an outside contractor is needed.
- Maintain the grounds, landscaping, and parking areas in a clean, neat, safe, and attractive manner.
- Perform the Rooms Preventative Maintenance (“RPM”) schedule on a timely basis, ensuring that all elements of the guest room meet the standards of the brand and management.
- Perform painting, carpentry, plumbing, carpet cleaning, and other jobs as necessary.
- Procure and maintain an inventory of supplies in order to perform duties.
- Maintain all storage areas, shops, and mechanical areas in a clean, safe, and secure manner.
- Understand and apply all hotel safety and security procedures as required to maintain a secure and safe environment for employees and guests.
- Have knowledge and demonstrate familiarity with all safety rules and policies and all requirements of the Occupational Safety and Health Act (“OSHA”).
- Keep immediate supervisor promptly and fully informed of all problems or unusual matters of significance coming to his/her attention so prompt corrective action can be taken.
- Be on-call 24 hours a day in the event of a hotel-related emergency.
- Be able to travel to procure products and supplies.
- Understand that business demands sometimes make it necessary to move employees from their accustomed shift to other shifts.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly, and acknowledge all guests, no matter how busy or what time of day.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
- Resolve guest complaints where possible, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation, and organization of assigned work areas.
- Receive daily work assignments from Chief Engineer/Supervisor and review priorities and special projects.
- Organize materials, tools, and equipment to perform daily assignments.
- Maintain timelines and work schedule in accordance with the preventive maintenance program.
- Check work orders and night report for any problems. Make rounds checking these problem areas and note any information needed or safety concerns in the hotel.
- Schedule work in accordance with preventive maintenance program in rooms, coordinating with the Executive Housekeeper and Front Office.
Perform electrical work orders:
- Replace light switches.
- Reset circuit breakers.
- Replace wall plug receptacles.
- Replace fluorescent light ballast.
- Replace electrical solenoid valve/switch.
- Replace small motors.
- Use test equipment; ohmmeter, voltage tester, and amp probe.
Perform plumbing work orders:
- Unplug sinks, toilets, garbage disposals, and drain lines.
- Repair or replace valves, gate, globe, ball, and solenoid valves/switch.
- Replace washer, gaskets, vacuum breakers, and toilet seals.
- Work with different types of pipe including conduit, copper, black, cast iron, and pipe hangers.
Perform preventive maintenance work orders:
- Monitor and maintain all laundry and dry cleaning equipment.
- Monitor and maintain all kitchen equipment.
- Maintain guestrooms using Rooms Preventive Maintenance Program Punch List.
- Change air-conditioning filters every 3 months.
- Check HVAC equipment; change filters, belts, bearings and lubricate as necessary. Also check for unusual noise or vibration, adjusting as necessary.
- Change or repair locks as needed.
- Cut and mark keys for guestroom key inventory.
- Check and test-run emergency generator weekly.
- Perform general maintenance to guestrooms and public areas.
- Assist electrician, carpenter, plumber, and painter in all phases of repair work.
- Assist other engineering personnel as instructed by supervisor in regards to routine and preventive maintenance.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of the work area to include: Inventories, Requisitions (receipt and storage)
- Trash removal and clean up
- Maintain the proper use, cleaning, maintenance, and storage of all tools.
- Handle chemicals for designated uses/surfaces in compliance with OSHA and other hotel safety policies.
- Ensure security of any assigned keys.
- Perform other duties as requested or required by management and owners.
- Ability to accept directions and priorities from the General Manager and reliably follow-through on tasks.
- Ability to perform job duties with minimal disruption to guests.
- Ability to be friendly and cheerful; interact easily with strangers.
- Ability to remain calm and tactful when faced with challenging guests.
- Ability to cooperate and support others.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to work with machinery both indoors and outdoors including: vacuum cleaners, key cutting machine, carpet cleaning machines, floor buffers, lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc.
Working knowledge of:
- Health codes
- Electrical codes
- National/local fire codes
- Local mechanical codes
- Power and hand tools, meters, etc.
- Compute math calculations
- Interpret manufacturer's literature for installation, preparation, use and upkeep of various materials and products used throughout the property.
- Be well organized and follow instructions.
- Focus attention on details.
- Operate high reach lifts.
- Prioritize tasks and comply with deadlines for work assignments.
- Be a clear thinker and perform well under pressure work assignments.
- Work and perform job functions with minimal supervision.
- Work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team.
- Satisfactorily communicate with guests, management, and co-workers to their understanding
- Some college or training in Hospitality Industry.
- Previous experience as Maintenance.
- Fluency in a foreign language, preferably.
- Certification in CPR.
- Previous guest relations training.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Must be able to speak, read, write, or otherwise communicate, and understand English used in the workplace.
- Must be able to speak, or otherwise communicate, and understand the primary language(s) used by guests who visit the workplace.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. In addition, the employee must:
- Ability to move up to 70 pounds.
- Endure various movements throughout the work areas.
- Reach 25 feet, with or without an aide.
- Remain in stationary position throughout work shift.
- Must be able to work mornings, nights, weekends and holidays as dictated by hotel business levels.
- Long hours sometimes required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time as needed.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $12.00 to $13.00 /hour