Do you have a fundamental drive and fascination in solving problems of all kinds?
Are you searching for impactful work in the area of computational structural engineering and finite element analysis (FEA) that doesn't confine you to working on the same thing year after year?
Does making meaningful contributions to projects that span from submarines, surface ships, UAV's, aircraft, missiles, to spacecraft a dream job?
Are you a creative person driven by your need to solve new problems, who is passionate about applying your knowledge and knowledge learned from others to solve truly unique problems?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a computational structural engineer to help us provide insight to the physical processes that define the behaviors of physical systems. As a member of our team, you will contribute to exciting projects supporting the US Department of Defense and NASA. Our team strives to develop, apply, and maintain deep expertise multiscale modeling techniques that give insight into the most meaningful length and time scales. You will work alongside computational experts who have a real passion for working with and developing state of the art computational tools in order to make advancements in the field.
As aComputational Structural Engineer:
Your primary responsibility will be to utilize FEA modeling predictive modeling and simulation of materials and engineering systems across a variety of length and time scales.
You will develop new models and statistical analysis of the resulting data.
You will interface with and actively collaborate with engineers, designers, fabricators, and scientists on a day to day basis.
You will propose future projects and initiatives.
You will also craft reports and give presentations to communicate results to team members and government partners.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a MS in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics, Chemistry, Materials Science, or equivalent with demonstrated application of knowledge.
- Have 3 years of experience in FEA.
- Experience in utilizing physics-based modeling frameworks and the ability to contribute to their development.
- Have direct experience using LS-Dyna.
- Demonstrated ability to both work independently with little guidance and direction, and work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Can multi-task on projects.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to attend meetings or tests at other government and contractor sites.
- Will be comfortable working in closed area facilities.
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a PhD Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics, Chemistry, Materials Science, or equivalent with demonstrated application of knowledge.
- Extensive experience in the development and use of simulation software in computational engineering.
- Scientific/engineering programming experience, the ability to work in multiple languages (MATLAB, C/C , Python, FORTRAN, …) and algorithms commonly used in computational science and engineering.
- Experience in large-scale software development. Experience using hardware accelerators (e.g. GPU's) and familiarity with parallel programming techniques (MPI/OpenMP).
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to team based software development.
- Fundamental understanding of the underlying physical phenomena driving material properties.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers. APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.